Shhh! Last night William stayed up until after 3 playing video games. Amazon failed me and he does not have a lot of presents, but this was the only thing he requested...so....Happy Birthday, William! 8 years ago this morning we headed to the hospital about 4:30 in the morning and our lives would never be the same. You amaze us every day with your observations and your logical conclusions and your ability to self-entertain (not just with video games).
You have had a wonderful year, in my opinion. You have impressed me (though this is not particularly hard to do) with your art. I love seeing your drawings and hearing about your maps and where they lead. As someone who still utilizes stick figures, anything beyond that is mind blowing.
You have continued to be our most independent child. And you know exactly what you want. Most of the time. Eric shared the story the other day that as everyone else was asking for various items from Sonic, your response was: I will get my lunch at home. Who does that? It took me until I was an adult to realize just because everyone else was ordering something, I didn't need to. Good on you, William! (though you did get a cherry limeade...because who would ever pass up the opportunity for a cherry limeade?)
This year you discovered the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and you were hooked. Hours were spent on the couch or on the chairs outside as you read literally thousands of pages over the course of 4 months. I was worried you might have just been going through the motions and not really retaining all of the information (just to beat your older brother), but then you would quote a line from the book or I'd hear you laughing late at night with Dom over something and I knew you understood everything you were reading. Perhaps more than I did. Along these same lines, you learned Hedwig's Theme from the Harry Potter movies and play it regularly as you pass the piano (along with The Imperial March). Your ear is much better than mine, but your fingering is terrible...we'll work on it :). Oh, and you played many games of quidditch in the backyard. We loved watching you. You also followed Harry Potter with several trips to Narnia as you read all of that series.
I love watching your friendship with Dominic and Peter. It is a lucky thing to have friends who like you for who you are and enjoy the same things. I hope that you will always have this. I know it annoys everyone when you and Peter stay up all night talking and playing your games when the cousins get together, but as it only happens once or twice a year...I'm fine with it. That is the stuff childhood memories are made of!
I love your smile. I also love that you are the one that really tries to give me a good smile when I ask for it. I suspect it is because you have wised up and realize the sooner I get a good picture, the sooner you can get back to really important things like playing. Again, a lesson it takes some people their entire lives to learn.
You nearly always give everything your best effort the first time around. I often times assumed that school was done for the day...not because it was actually done, but because I knew I missed the opportunity in the morning for the best work to happen..just to find you hard at work on your lessons. Any teacher in the world would be lucky to have you in a classroom, and I get to have you in mine. Thank you for being such an easy going student and willing to learn about just about everything.
I love to hear you giggle and laugh. I love to hear all of you giggle and laugh. My favorite are the giggles that come late at night when you are suppose to be asleep.
In the world of sports, you played soccer and have a very good eye for the game. Played baseball and always had a good attitude...well almost always...but, you were obviously safe...I mean, come on, Ump! Get some eyeglasses...Played basketball in the driveway and had some memorable wins at knock-out...and have been riding in the Tour for 2 weeks now.
To reward you and Dom for reading all of the Harry Potter series (and because we live in Florida and it will never be easier to do so), we headed to Universal where you got to be in the world of wizards. I loved walking around and hearing your observations. And catching you smuggling your wizard robe in your bag. Between you and me, I would have smuggled it in mine if you hadn't done it first. I also love that you are up for just about any ride available. Preferably twice. And that you are up for spending $10 on a candied apple. I've always wanted to try one, but never wanted to spend the money. Now I have kids who will do this for me. Sweet.
Your least favorite subject is writing. But, I love to read what you do write. You have the ability to almost seamlessly put what is in your brain onto the paper. It helped that I introduced you to a thesaurus so that you can really tap into the words that will best define your emotions. I look forward to what you choose to write about this coming year. And I know family members eagerly await your Thank You letters. Jimmy Fallon may take some lessons from you someday.
William, we love you so very much. I love to tell stories about you and see people's eyes widen and say how awesome you are. I don't even have to embellish. You give me great material. I love to watch you with your sister and brothers. You love them so much and are happy just being around them. No one has a higher opinion of John than you do. You and Dom are equals in so many things and resolve nearly all of your arguments without me having to get involved. The one exception is that you and he fight over who has to empty the top rack in the dishwasher (generally more items and they need to be dried). We settled it that Dom gets to empty the bottom rack (ie the preferred rack) on odd days and you empty it on even (this was easier for me to remember as Dom is son 1 and Will is son 2). This appeased your sense of fairness and I am very grateful. And finally, you and Molly share a love of the make-believe that means you can disappear for hours and will not even realize the passage of time. Of course, this also means I have to settle arguments about things I cannot even see...but, I'm fine with that!
Happy Birthday, William Thomas! We hope you have a wonderful birthday and an even better year than the one you just completed. Last year you met Harry and Aslan, so maybe this year you will get to know Bilbo and Gandalf. I look forward to getting to see the world through your eyes and having you be a part of our family. Love you to Pluto and back, little man! I'll empty the top rack for you today.








1 comment:
Happy birthday, Will! I assume you're already in bed since you were up all night??
Post a Comment