05 January 2017

Happy Birthday, Molly!

Our little girl is growing up.  But, not too fast.  Thank goodness!  She is still our Molly-girl.  As bright, outgoing, stubborn, and industrious as ever (she recently taught her 2-year-old brother how to get around the whole asking mom for help thing with a pair of scissors...)

If there is anything Molly is lacking in, it is certainly not personality.  She leaves an impression on just about everyone she meets.  This summer while Mitzi was visiting, she was chatting with another lady helping in the nursery at our church.  At one point, Mitzi was talking about her niece, Molly, when the lady stopped her with a: 'You are Molly's aunt?  I subbed for her pre-school class one day and made a note to remember her because her answers always made me laugh.'  That's my Molly!
Molly knows her own mind and you have to be pretty quick to get her to change it.  Generally chocolate or episodes of The Pioneer Woman work.  Neither William nor Dom have tested us quite like Molly.  I've been trying to figure out a way to parent her for 5 years now...and I suspect it will be an ongoing project for the decades ahead of me.  Her spirit is a beautiful thing and I do not want to break it...I just want to figure out a way to live with it while maintaining my sanity.  I think her brothers agree.  But, we all agree, we love having her on our team.
Molly is a snuggler.  She still hangs tight to her Agnes and will give you a hug every morning.  And she has never met a stranger.  She actually just was talking about how she makes new friends.  She strikes up a conversation with a compliment.  I'm in awe of her ability to do this as my natural inclination is to not engage anyone.  Recently on an elevator down to breakfast at a hotel, after the usual back and forth of what floor everyone was going to, she complimented the socks of a woman's baby.  Then she talked about how she had socks similar, but hers had days of the week.  You could feel the awkwardness of rides in a confined space melt as Molly discussed her footwear.
I love how Molly stands out in this family of three boys and a girl.  So many pictures are the boys doing one thing, and Molly doing something totally different.  But, it works.  I mean...look at the outfits.  All greens, blues, blacks, tans....PINK FLOWERS!!!
I could never get the boys to draw.  Will is starting to do a bit more sketching, but sticks closely to maps.  Molly draws always.  Almost always a picture of her with her friends or sometimes me.  She wants to pick the exact color...and will sigh when I invariably fail and say: I guess I can work with that.  Thanks, Molly!
She delights in many things.  Recently I got her a towel that wraps her hair specifically.  It's the small things.
Her fashion sense has already surpassed my very low level.  But, she is very aware of which outfits I prefer.  For example, the particular dress she is wearing happens to be my favorite.  I've told her so, and she will pull it on from time to time and tell me she wore it because she knew it was my favorite. Now, her favorite outfits tend to be leggings centered.  Because wearing leggings feels like someone is "giving [her] a nice warm hug". -Molly, Summer 2016
Despite dressing the part, Molly has little interest in learning to ride her bike.  Though, she did received a pink scooter for Christmas that she goes tearing around our neighborhood on.  It is pretty fun to watch her keep up with the neighborhood gang.  Maybe this summer will inspire her to give 2 wheels a try again, but no rush.  She moves pretty fast as it is.

Molly is such a beach baby.  She is in the waves faster than anyone.  And doesn't stay still for long...hence the fact that I could not find a non-blurry picture of her at the beach.
And now some pictures that just speak for themselves:





Molly has had quite the 5th year and I have no doubt her next one will be just as exciting.  Because she finds just about everything exciting...or she will let you know!  She started kindergarten in the fall, but already knew how to read and can easily do the math.  Most days she will play in her world of imagination that John and Will are allowed to enter.  She looks forward to playing with her neighborhood friends, but is also content to read books under a blanket or watch episodes of The Pioneer Woman with me and dream about recreating the food.  She seeks out any opportunity to help with food preparation in the kitchen and has cracked several eggs successfully.   And, of course, she continues to dance to every song with any sort of beat.  She and John had a great time watching the Concert from Vienna on New Year's Day and imitating the ballerinas.  I once asked if she would like to learn dance.  Her response: 'Why? I already know how to dance.'  Good point.
Dear Molly, I hope you never change.  I pray that you will always be strong willed and will never let anyone take away your zeal for life.  I also pray I have the patience and strength to be your mom and that when I fall, Dad has the patience and strength to be what you need.  I will always have the love, though.  Because even though you tell me you love me more...I love you even more.

Happy Birthday, Mary Agnes!  Let's go get ready for that tea party!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, Molly. Happy Birthday sweet girl!

Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Molly! Ella and I enjoyed reading this post together. She likes Molly's glasses. Much love from the Strunks!

Nana and Li'l Opa said...

Oh Molly, Tux was so happy when I told her that you had asked about her. I think she smiled! I hope that you had a wonderful pink and purple birthday with lots of surprises.
We love you.
Li'l Opa and Nana

Eric said...

Wow. Molly "I already know how to dance" B. My little girl!