11 April 2017

Happy Birthday, John!

 Our Li'l John is turning 3 today!  Though he has been claiming the age for the last few days. 
 As I was going through pictures, I realized he had a huge year.  Since his 2nd birthday, we have visited Universal Studios, flown to London, gone to Legoland, and made a stop in Disney World. Not to mention, numerous trips to the beach and just hanging out with siblings.
 Molly and John spend quite a bit of time together.  Which is on the whole very positive, though they do know how to push each other's buttons.  Just like any self-respecting brother and sister duo should.
 John has for a while tried to help out when he can.  And he actually does a better job of cleaning up than one would expect.  Though, his favorite chore is watering plants.  My plants are thankful.  Except maybe the ones that that got the fire hose treatment. But, we patched them up and they are thriving now.
 John loves to read books.  Or rather, to have you read to him.  He will bring over a pile as I sit on the couch to rest and basically order me to read to him.  Good for him.  Luckily, I have three other readers in the house regularly and they are generally happy to fill in for me.  Today, Molly even read him to sleep.  Bonus!
 Some time in the last year I realized he knew his letters.  Granted, he did not know colors or certain common animals...but, he knew what we had focused on.  Naturally, I started focusing on colors and animals, so we're good now.  You should hear him sing the alphabet song!  I think he is inventing new letters!

 Speaking of animals, he was quite the trouper through three amusement parks in three days.  It helped when he saw animals. Like Pluto.
 John is pretty comfortable with technology.  But, not too comfortable.  He doesn't know our passwords.  I think. Ok, so I don't know our passwords...he is as comfortable as I am, which is not that comfortable.


 One day, Eric took the boys to get haircuts, and our curly haired toddler was gone. But, the spirit is alive and well...and there is a little curl.

 Oh, John LOVES the Kitchen Aid.  LOVES IT!! If I turn it on, he comes running.  You may think this is cute...and you probably do not have kids.  Molly and I had just come to an understanding about co-cooking...and then John decided to join the band.  The result? Messes.  Big ones.  The other day as I continued on my quest to win Mother of the Year, I attempted baking some pumpkin bread with my two youngest.  Just as we had put all of the flour in...John put the mixer on high.  Flour and pumpkin was all over the counter.  A counter I would need to clean (though Molly tried to assist me).  Maybe I can get that award next year.  Luckily, we did salvage the bread and I'm pretty sure after some tears and hugs I salvaged our relationship.
 Plus, it is hard to stay angry at a child that looks like a cherub when he sleeps.
 I mentioned the Alphabet Song, but there are loads of songs that John will attempt to sing.  At Christmas, he would belt: O Christmas Tree! over and over and over again.  Jingle Bells was also a favorite.
 Being a 4th is rough. He does a really good job of keeping up, but he is great at catching naps whenever and wherever he can.
 Some pictures from our time in London...



 Turns out selfies are a pretty easy way to keep 2-year-olds entertained. Also going up and down escalators in airports.
 John loves all things water.  Be it the Gulf of Mexico or a bucket on our back porch.  He is there!

 And he loves Mitzi, too.  I love this picture!
 Most of all I love watching these four together.  A picture I hope to get one day is of Dom holding John's hand as they walk in front of me.  I see it happen all of the time, but I can never get my camera ready in time to really capture it.  Will still views John as just about the best kid around.  No one is as clever or cute as John.  The other day we were at the library and Molly said she wanted to go check out a little house next to the building, Will goes: Me, Too!, Dom goes: Me, Three!, and John goes: Me, Four!  Counting and Comedy...he is pretty clever and cute. And Molly is seeing him more as a playmate these days, but still wants to mother him a little...if he lets her!
Eric and I are grateful every day he is in our family.  We look at each other and just comment how wonderful it is that he is here and the joy he brings to the dinner table...most days.  He regularly tells us he loves us...and then will comment that he hates ants.  Just for reference, I think.  He loves hugs and will squeeze as long and as hard as you do.  He also gives kisses.  Always two at a time.  The scene goes like this: "Mom, I want to give you a kiss (I lean over and he kisses my cheek) Now your other cheek." His Italian side is coming through, I guess.  Or French.  Definitely not German or Irish. 

He has a couple of friends in the neighborhood that he plays with regularly which is fun to watch.  One a year older and one a year younger.  And, of course, he thinks he can hang with the big kids, too.  And they generally let him for a little while, which I appreciate.  I think because he gives out hugs so freely.  Everybody likes a good hug!

Happy Birthday, John Eugene Anthony!  Today we thank God for your life and the joy you bring to all around you.  We love you more, most, and forever!  Now, I guess I better lay down some kind of protection before we make your cake!

Mom

1 comment:

Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Godson!
Liesel, it's great to see you're not slacking in the picture department with your fourth! It helps you've been on so many adventures the past year...and he's so photogenic. :) Love from Abilene!