The second weekend of December, we put up our tree. If you look closely, you can see Santa's elf running. My camera phone is just that good to catch it.
Also in December, Will read a very short summary of World War 1, and determined that he could have done a much better strategy. Luckily, we have a Risk board for just such a situation. Eric happened to be studying a bit on World War 1 at the time and we had lengthy discussions on who were allies, why they were allies, and the tragedy of war. Not the most uplifting of dinner conversations, but good discussions all the same.
I knew I had a photo somewhere of the completed puzzle. Isn't is pretty? I want to frame it, but who has time to do something like that in December. It is currently in 7 or 8 large chunks in the box. I'm sure I will get to it soon.
The Monday before Christmas, we began to bake cookies. Last year, 1 or 2 of us was out with some sort of stomach bug, so I twas nice to have everyone healthy. I even had aprons and hats for all!
There are some that are more helpful than others, but I have to say the Hershey kiss cookies are the best for kids. They help roll the balls, unwrap the kisses, and put them all in the cookies. They knew I had the power to take away all additional Hershey kisses, so they were pretty well behaved.
We have had a couple of water tables, and never used them. You know what works really well? The kitchen sink. John spends an hour playing and really doesn't make too big of a mess. He'd wash dishes, if I let him.
A few days before Christmas, Molly, John, and our neighbor pseudo-adopted a cat who showed up. I told them they could give it milk, but it could not come in the house (it was very warm leading into Christmas). Eventually, our neighbor's grandmother took the cat in. And it had kittens! Apparently 'it' is a 'she'. For the record, we are not adopting a kitten.
We made the traditional Christmas plates for our friends and neighbors. John kept trying to sneak a cooking and Molly told him they were only for 'Awesome People', to which he replied: 'I am Awesome People, I'm an Awesome Boy!' I gave him a piece or two of fudge.
My 5th attempt at some cookies my neighbors in Ohio made for us. I loved their cookies, and these were the closest, yet. Maybe I'll get it next year!
Molly and I attempted to curl her hair. We watched youtube videos and everything. It didn't last the night, but it was cute for the photo ops.
This year it was John's turn to put in Baby Jesus. And that was a good thing, but he was going to insist it was his turn whether it was or not. Next year, Molly will get to do it for the first time since she was 3. We have a list provided by Will in 2014 to insure he would get a turn in 2015. Now everything is Even Steven, just the way he likes it!
The evening ended with the watching of The Muppets Christmas Carol, cookies and milk left out, a reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas, and everyone getting snuggly tucked into bed.
The next morning, we heard tiny feet running up and down the steps. Not too tiny, about 11 year old, 9 year old, and nearly 7 year old sized feet. We had said they needed to stay in bed until 7, but Will and Molly could not handle it. And Dom, who tried so hard to do what was requested, just couldn't be left out. John, was still sleeping soundly, and not being in the mood to deal with a cranky 3 year old on Christmas Day...I told everyone to let him stay asleep.
The older three had plenty to look at and as the morning wore on, they realized that really that early morning is the best before any of the presents are opened.
That said, they all had wonderful gifts from Santa and Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles and Sibling and Parents and Friends. The highlights included a Ping Pong table, Veterinarian kit, Bows and Arrows, Millenium Falcon Lego, Remote Control Cars, and some pink boots (guess for whom?).
and 16 pairs of socks.
Oh, and a giant soup mug.
And a bathrobe.
And a Harry Potter Lego Castle, that no one thought was possible as we all knew it was discontinued. But, Santa can do just about anything!
We had a wonderful holiday, and spent the next day preparing for our trip to Oklahoma!
Next: Oklahoma! (Or, Molly gets her hair curled)
No comments:
Post a Comment