08 May 2018

Easter Triduum

 Easter Triduum was lovely for our family.  We started the previous Saturday with a Seder Meal at a friend's house.  The kids loved being able to participate in the answer and response...even if it was particularly difficult impossible for the still 3 year old to keep his voice silent for the 45 minutes at the table seeing food on his plate...but not being able to eat it.

Yet, that meal set the tone for the rest of the week.  On Holy Thursday, Molly and John helped me make bread for our dinner celebrating the Lord's Supper.  And Dom and Will read their Action Bible as much as they were given chances to.  Pouring over the sections about Our Lord's death and resurrection.
 At Mass, Eric had his feet washed as a representative of the congregation, along with 11 other congregants.  We started a tradition many years ago to wash each other's feet at home after Mass.  Something the kids were so keen to do, that they immediately lined up their chairs and waited patiently for water to warm up.   
 Those that read my blog know I'm proud of our kids about many things, but their reverence and excitement of this tradition just about makes my heart explode.
 Even if Eric maybe boiled the water a bit too long...the ice cooled it down quickly.
 So, by the time it reached me, it was perfect!
 Good Friday was observed as a day of fasting and abstinence.  We also started the Divine Mercy Novena, and for the first time, the kids seemed to enjoy this family prayer as opposed to endure it.  Which was inspiring for us parents.
 Now, the above picture was taken after Holy Saturday Mass, which we all attended as a family for the first time.  Our church started it quite a bit earlier than our previous churches have, and I knew it would be only about 90 minutes (as opposed to up to 3 hours).  John and Molly were thrilled by the fire that begins the Mass and excitedly held up their candles when Fr. Linn asked if everyone had one.  The candle kept John pretty entertained through the first part of the Mass, and he spent the remainder stage whispering about the Easter Bunny, much to my friend's delight who was sitting a few pews behind us.

As a side note, something also happened that I have waited 3 decades to be able to do.  Molly is different from me in many ways.  One of which is her love of leggings and close fitting clothes (she says they make her feel like she is getting a hug).  She puts on tights willingly...whereas I always fought my mom about it. They itched so bad!!  Well, on Holy Saturday, I noticed she was itching her legs.  Which was particularly precarious as she was holding a candle and would lean it at a sharp angle to reach her knee.  I leaned over and whispered something I had dreamt my mom would one day say to me: "Do you want to take those off and throw them away?"  She nodded and we headed to the restroom for a beautiful moment of mother/daughter bonding.

It just so happened that our Jayhawks were playing Villanova during the Mass.  We got out and did a score check to discover the pretty sad state of affairs going on in San Antonio.  Dom and I spent the after party outside on the steps watching the game on my phone.  He wiped a few tears away, and I stayed with him as our beloved players tried to make a comeback...and never did.  Really sort of killed the mood of the triumph of Easter (see above picture for the reaction to the loss)...would have been perfect for a Good Friday evening.
 But!  After a bit of chocolate cake and discussion about perspective and what is truly important in life, he mustered a smile.  Will and Molly took until the morning.
 It dawned sunny and beautiful.  A new day with all of the hope that Easter brings (note Will and Molly's smiles). 
 Our Easter Mass was wonderful and filled with all of the music I love to sing.  Loads of Alleluias for John, Too!
 There were Easter Hunts, lots of chocolate was consumed, a couple of ping pong games were played,  and we all had a lovely day.
 On the way to Mass that morning, Molly said something along the lines of that she hadn't wanted to go to church all those nights...but, it was totally worth it!  And I think so to.  Easter is my favorite season!  And as I type this...we still have a couple more weeks.  Time to break out the last of the peanut butter eggs!

No comments: