It has been another wonderful circle around the sun for you! You made us so proud as you received Confirmation last December. It was a perfect day and we did not stop smiling!
Nor have you stopped growing (and I doubt you will for several years). Yet, you have come to appreciate somewhat the gifts I have found at the thrift store that will fit you for a few months. (Friends, stop paying full price for clothes that could be outgrown in a matter of weeks!)
| (first picture recording growth...) |
It had to happen eventually, but it has come to pass that I believe Dom prefers his friends' company to his family's (though Will is consistently in the middle of that Venn Diagram). He is always up for going to various social gatherings. Even swing dancing! I was so proud! (even though I was not invited)
Dominic is doing extremely well in his first quarter of high school subjects. He had a very steep learning curve when it came to time management and he is succeeding. He quickly appreciated that starting his classwork earlier in the day was the key to this success...we'll see how long he appreciates that key. Those KU basketball games go pretty late...
Along with starting high school, the last year has a few other firsts for Dom. He shot clay pigeons at boy scout camp and got to try it again over Labor Day Weekend.
He performed in another dramatic performance with his cousins when he read for Cousin Fred in The Christmas Carol...and a few other roles.
He continues to be a huge sports fan (see earlier statement about watching football games). He is currently playing Varsity Soccer and just made the JV Basketball team. That time management skill is absolutely necessary these days.
Dom competed once more in the Geography Bee and made it to the final round. Much further than I would have gone.
| A rare sighting of Dom in a shirt that is not KU...but these guys are just down the street and it was a solid deal at the thrift store. |
| Second growth update...still taller than me, just more so. |
Such a good looking kid!
| This is a solid depiction of Dom and his half-birthday Buddy. John turns 7.5 today, which means he is the age Dom was when he was born. And he is apparently half Dom's size...but, not forever. |
Last Fall, Dom discovered a love of darts and is pretty dominant. He and Will defeated Eric and me in our inaugural match...
Dom is NOT dominant when it comes to ping-pong. I still have that one all locked up. ;) (John is reading over my shoulder and would like me to add 'he is dominant to US')(William has now clarified:'Not to me, it's pretty 50/50')(Molly: 'I'm terrible, everyone is dominant to me') The fact checkers are jumping on this post earlier than usual...
| Life skills lesson: Using self check-out |
Dominic had a very full summer. Not as full as 2019, but full.
He participated in soccer and basketball conditioning as well as spent a week at Camp Rodney with Eric and Will. There he worked on canoeing and photography. Those are the stories I remember.
He also took part in several (perhaps all?) of the campfire skits. Which he then proceeded to teach to everyone he met.
Shortly after that trip, I got payback for my loss last fall...and Dom has gotten payback ever since. Oddly, there is not photo evidence of his wins. In other news, he will not be getting a cellphone anytime soon.
We finally visited Virginia Beach at the end of August, and were reminded how much we all LOVE the beach
Why did we wait so long? Probably because there is a football game somewhere to watch...
Dom continues to love bread. We have discovered soft pretzels from Lidl and that is a weekly treat. And, Dom has learned how to make baguettes. Sort of. It is a work in progress.

The boys returned from camp on a Saturday, and Monday we loaded up and flew to the midwest for the first time in 2 years. We had a great time with grandparents and cousins. We even got to experience Silver Dollar City and pork rinds. As well as a little white water tubing.
We finally visited Virginia Beach at the end of August, and were reminded how much we all LOVE the beach
Why did we wait so long? Probably because there is a football game somewhere to watch...
Happy Birthday, Dominic Joseph! 15 years ago, I sat on a couch thinking it would be 18 years before I could have my life back...little did I know that my life was only going to get better and now I jealously cling to these years with all of you under our roof. Your constant good mood helps to keep our home warm and friendly. We are so proud of how hard you work to be a saint! You bear my lectures with patience and I see how you always try to improve. I see how you consistently work to make my life a little easier by quickly getting to work on chores and you have learned a lot about being grateful for all that you receive. Even if it is from the thrift store ;)! (You're Welcome!)
![]() |
| And the final growth update... |
I hope you will always find joy in the small things and laugh at your brothers' humor. I hope you will always be the first to offer to help when a request is made (I know you do this much more for other adults...yet, somehow Will beats you frequently in our home...hm...). I hope you will continue to be able to read the room and know that it is a good night to suggest ''5 hugs" after the Rosary (especially when Molly needs one!) And I hope you will always know how much you are loved by all that meet you.
Today we Thank God in a special way for the gift of your life. Enjoy your day off (except for History, Algebra...and Latin. I forgot about that one earlier. Oops). Now, let's go find out what I got you from the Thrift Store (It's awesome).
Love,
Mom


2 comments:
Happy Birthday, Dominic, Last night we had a birthday supper that you would have enjoyed: Wienerschnitzel! We need to take you and your family to Gruenauers so that you can give it a try. Have a fantastic day today. Perhaps one of your birthday gifts will be winning a game of ping pong against your mom. Love you, Nana
Happy Birthday, Dominic!! We hope you have an amazing day!
Post a Comment