Happy 17th Birthday, Dominic! I first started writing these posts around your 5th birthday. I think I had two pictures? I really should have stuck with that. Over the last few years, it has become more and more difficult to get pictures on to this site. I thought I cracked the code with Will's post by using photos from Facebook and now several have been deleted for reasons I do not understand, nor do I remember what photos were formerly there.
Moving back to Dayton has had many positive experiences. Not the least of which was attending the two games of the First Four (one of these teams went on to beat the overall Number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament). Which just feeds into your latest mantra as you tackle new goals: Why not me?
Plug for thrift store here (which I know you hate)...that suit he is wearing and looking like a million bucks? $1.50!!! You mock me good-naturedly now, but wait until you see our first insurance bill after you become a licensed driver in the next few months...
Back to Dom and his amazing year. Between watching sports, running faster than ever, the random school assignment, and passing AP exams...Dom also got approved, spent the summer asking local business for funds, and completed his Eagle Scout Project! With two parents pushing him and not raising a finger to do any of the hard work (ok, I did sit on hold with Lowe's for a while for him and I was also the comedic side kick when he went knocking on business doors. You are welcome!)
As much success as Dom showed with cross country and spring track (Current PRs: 5K: 17'23", 1600: 5 flat, 800M: Um...2'15"?..it's faster than I can do, that's all I know), he also excelled in his classes which turned into success on the Academic Team where he received District 2nd Team honors. It's good to have our home school experiment validated. Phew!
And, most importantly, he continues to always work at being a good son, brother, and friend. While he has had a cell phone for the last 5 months, we have not noticed a decrease in his interaction with the family. He is generally the first to suggest a game in the evening or a family movie or to initiate our Divine Mercy Chaplet or Rosary and has internalized that family time is priority. I am so grateful as I watch these days fly by. Man, I've come a long way from crying because I wasn't ready to be a mom...now I cry because I'm not ready to not be a full-time mom...and I still have a solid 10 years left!
Happy Birthday, Dominic Joseph! I hope you know how well you are loved. Dad and I hold you to high standards because we know you have such great ability. You also have a great heart that is on display with your quick smile and easy laugh. Young kids LOVE you! You have a competitive spirit that is unmatched by many, yet you are never a sore loser. I don't get it. Instead, you always ask for a quick re-match. No matter how many times I beat you at ping pong...
Today (and the last 14 days...as this post is just slightly behind...hey, how's that paper going???) we Thank God for your life and how great our lives are for having you in them. It gets pretty quiet around here when you are on a camp out. Though, fortunately John has figured out how to work the various movie watching devices...that was a close call!
We are looking forward to all the next year has in store...including college applications!! (too soon?)
Love,
Mom



1 comment:
I remember reading these blog posts of yours years ago. They are so great. HBD to your baby boy! What a blessing he is to the world.
Janele
Post a Comment