09 March 2009

God Bless:

The bedtime routine at the Buschelman household follows a pretty typical pattern. A little after 7, Eric and I herd Dom upstairs along with Will. While Eric gets Dom's teeth brushed, diaper changed, and pajamas on, I take care of Will's changing. Depending on the night, Dom will occasionally practice a little basketball while Will watches. Alternately saying "Almost!" or "All Right!!" depending on the outcome of his shot. After a bit of this, we settle in for storytime and prayers. The stories and prayers follow a typical list, but when we get to the "God Bless" part, who knows what will come out of a 2-yr old's mouth.

Generally we prompt him with family and sort of play a word association game. For example we'll say "Nana" and he'll follow with "L'opa", or "Megan" followed by "Scuba." Once we get through the list of grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and godsiblings we leave the door open for Dom to start asking God to bless whomever his little heart desires. The following is a list of the ones I can remember. And these are all unprompted:

(playmates)
Glory, Eve, Ernesto, Owen

Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Click Click Clack, Gordon, Percy, James, Jesus, Jayhawks, Angels, ballgame, soccer ball, Nemo, and moose.

I'm pretty sure he also prayed for Santa Claus around Christmas, but that has passed now.

While I'm writing about religious things, Dom has started recognizing and getting excited about statues and pictures of St. Joseph, Mary, and of course, Jesus. He associates any statue with a beard as St. Joseph. I think the reason for this is that although Jesus also has a beard, Dom originally started associating the adult Jesus with the cross. So if there is no cross, clearly the man has to be Joseph. Anyway, the other night as we left church, a bearded man was locking up and Dom waved and said "Bye, Bye, Joseph!" Then he told another man who held the cross during our stations meditation: "Bye, Bye, Jesus!" Incidentally, that man does not have a beard, so apparently the cross is a bigger indicator than facial hair.

4 comments:

Robert said...

Who the heck is Click Click Clack??? And, does the man have to have a whole beard to be Joseph, or would I qualify as Joseph? Is it good that Dom is praying for inanimate objects? And finally, why does Eric do teeth, diaper and PJs while you get to only do changing (and I assume PJs too...)?

Liesel said...

Click Click Clack is Thomas the tank engine. He calls him that because in the book we read to him every night for well over a year "Thomas the tank engine goes clickety clack clickety clack". Click Click Clack is Dom's version. As for you qualifying as Joseph, while watching your slide show, I at first thought he called you Jesus, until I realized the picture had a crucifix in it. You are actually one of the people that Dom recognizes most readily in pictures, but he never confuses you for Jesus or Joseph. Not sure about the Catholic teaching on inanimate objects, but as he hasn't reached the age of reason, yet, I think he gets a pass. And Eric does teeth, diapers, and PJs, since I have to do diapers, pjs, and nursing. I've offered to switch, but this did not make either Eric or Will very happy.

Anonymous said...

one would think a great part of life is a sense of humor,,i do not feel bad now that the click thing is solved, i wonder if any 76 year old men did know that,,now an update on me 10 days ago had been down and out,,dianne said thats it dr. visit..well had pnuemonia oops still have it,,much better but sure needed the humor of latest on my two great grand kids,,lotta love g-gramps,,

Emily said...

i should learn to avoid reading your blog during my lunch break at work, since laughing aloud to oneself and peeing one's pants (hey, i'm pregnant--give me a break) is not generally considered socially acceptable behavior.