Eric and I share many common interests, not the least of which is reading. We do not necessarily share the same taste in books, though. For example, Eric can quote LOTR and give quite descriptive explanations of plot points; whereas I could not finish "Return of the King" and to be honest, barely read the first two. I prefer fiction in general and he prefers non-fiction. Though, over the years our tastes have begun to merge more. Particularly, in the selection of what we listen to in the car on road trips.
However, our preferential reading choices are not really the point of this post.
As a result of our enjoyment of reading, we have tried to pass this along to our children. We read to them frequently and mostly per their request. Dom knows that when I sit down to nurse Molly, this is the best time to snuggle up to my side and have me read to him. Even if I try to hide in order to read my current book selection, he will find me and bring along a couple of books he has selected. William can hear me reading from several rooms away and will come running in saying "Stop! Stop! You have to wait for me!". The boys listen in very different ways. Dom will sit quietly through an entire story, while Will frequently interrupts with questions. Or declarative statements. Like "He's wearing a blue shirt!". If I do not acknowledge his observation, he will continue to say it over louder and louder until I do. Will is simultaneously helping me work on the virtue of patience while also causing me to add on to time already acquired in Purgatory.
Recently, Dominic has been showing an interest in reading books that aren't necessarily picture books. Eric has read bits of "The Hobbit" to both boys at bedtime. And Dom has shown interest in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" series that I have been reading. Last night, I had escaped to my room to quietly feed Molly and finish "Prince Caspian" when Dom discovered me. He asked if I would read to him and quickly produced his selections. He had picked one particularly long and boring story (an adaptation of "Cars") and a Thomas the Tank Engine flap book. I tried to dissuade him, but he looked up at me with his big brown eyes and said please, so I commenced reading "Cars". I hadn't read more than a couple of pages when he started reading the flap book to himself. When I asked if he wanted me to finish, he agreed that it was too long. After doing a couple of pages in Thomas, we agreed that it was more appropriate for William. Then Dom picked up "Prince Caspian" and asked if I wanted to read that to him. I readily agreed and started to read the last chapter. Soon William came in holding his bunny Foo-Foo. I read the final chapter to the boys as they drifted to sleep on either side of me. This is a situation that I would call: Win-Win-Win.
3 comments:
Wow!!! They are gifted!! OK. Away with the baby books and out with--I know!! Calvin and Hobbes! And Foxtrot!
Mary Ann LOVES Calvin and Far Side and Get Fuzzy...she often "borrows" my collections of those. And Liesel, I can't believe you never read Return of the King. Does Eric know this??? Need to borrow my copy? =)
Eric does know that LOTR is fiction, right? I mean it is, right?
Post a Comment