18 October 2012

My Shot Glass Collection

About 15 years ago I took a band trip to New Orleans over the New Year.  A friend of mine was on the lookout for souvenir spoons, and as I helped her look for the perfect one to mark our journey to the Big Easy, I determined that I also wanted to start a collection.  Now, those that have known me for a while (and those who have only recently met me will not have to stretch their imaginations that much), know that I was (and am) the squarest of squares.   I barely drink now, and there was no question whatsoever that I would imbibe in underage drinking.  Therefore, I thought it would be great and hilarious to commence a shot glass collection.  I jokingly told people that I would aim to get 21 by the time I was 21 and then line them up.  With water.   I picked out two shot glasses that trip and quickly surpassed the 21 goal in the next couple of years with a trip abroad as well as many additions from friends who enjoyed the joke of the law abiding friend having a useless shot glass collection.

Over the years, I have collected many shot glasses from around the world of various sizes, shapes, and colors.  I do have a cabinet to display them, but my collection is too big to be contained.  I'm not sure how many I have, but it has to be over 100.  It's been moved now 4 times.  I didn't even unwrap most of them at our last house.  I did think about disposing of them somehow during this move as we were facing the possibility of not being able to bring everything from our home due to space constraints.

I am so glad I didn't.  As I was unpacking and finding places for various items, I found myself with an empty shelf in the kitchen.  Since Eric had already placed a couple of shot glasses out, I figured I'd go ahead and see how the others fit.  At first I just stacked them 4 or 5 high to save space.  But, then I started really looking at them.  Memories came back from the last decade and a half of places I'd been or friends who had thought of me on their own trips.  You see, an added bonus of collecting something as simple as shot glasses is that people often think of you or if you off-handedly say "bring me back a shot glass", they will.

I also realized how much the kids will enjoy looking at them as we do lessons about different geographical locations.  I even have a shot glass from Florida already that a friend brought back several years ago.

During our Honeymoon, Eric and I elected to start a new souvenir collection of Christmas ornaments.  I highly recommend this method of trip rememberance as it will insure that you will look at the souvenirs once a year.   Even if I did drink more, there is no way I would get around to looking at each shot glass once a year.  And, I'm not a huge fan of decorating with shot glasses.  But, I am glad my 15-year-old self decided to start collecting them so that on a hectic October day, my 31-year-old self could take a walk down memory lane and around the world.

24 comments:

Liz said...

Pictures, please.
I did coffee mugs until they took up too much space. I have 2 favorites: The Queen Mary/Spruce Goose from a visit ot Long Beach in 1988, I think. And then the 2 London mugs "Mind The Gap", the most current one with the updated tube lines.

Liesel said...

Sorry! We have misplaced our camera...perhaps for good.

Anonymous said...

the national wild turkey assc has a shot class just for collectors,was just informed wed my turkey call made it in to a collectors cabinet,,funnyv story in a way,,buddy mine got divorced and his golfball collection was the main thing they fought over,,,tell little ones i love them great gramps

Robert said...

Over 100? that's still less than one per day for the year. I'm sure you (...or Eric...) could use each once a year...

Personalized Shot Glass said...

When you get to a certain number of glasses in your collection, you may want to start planning where to travel to and get shot glasses. This is because if you get one from everywhere you go, you could end up with thousands of shot glasses and no money. Unless you want thousands of glasses in your collection.

Custom Shot Glasses said...

The custom shot mugs designing is an interesting idea to promote the brands.

Anonymous said...

Are you looking for an out of ordinary shot glass? Some may look for cheap shot glasses to use in their parties. Some may unique shot glasses look for custom shot glasses to reflect their favorite places of visit. You will get a wide range of shot glasses at one place.

Personalized Ceramic Mugs said...

Great DIY items and good for promotion and sale and even use it in your home.

Unknown said...

The new personalized shot glasses generations shot gales are perfecta and are just designed for the purposes which are custom shot glasses available in variety of prices for the individual. So get that opportunity and use those quality aspects for your occasions or events whenever you buy shot glasses are in need of such wide gales. This article explains all facts about cheap shot glasses.

macelis said...

Collection of shot glass is considered as one of the fanciest hobbies available in this modern world. Whenever you are starting to collect them, always start with some cheap shot glasses. Later on you can look for some unique shot glasses from the places you visit. Specially ordered custom shot glasses can also help you to make your collection a unique one.

Unknown said...

I have visit this site and its blog for more visit us at:-The new personalized shot glasses generations shot gales are perfecta and are just designed for the purposes which are custom shot glasses available in variety of prices for the individual. So get that opportunity and use those quality aspects for your occasions or events whenever you buy shot glasses are in need of such wide gales. This article explains all facts about cheap shot glasses.

macelis said...

Your home improvement blog are very nice ,please follow us on:- Collection of shot glass is considered as one of the fanciest hobbies available in this modern world. Whenever you are starting to collect them, always start with some cheap shot glasses. Later on you can look for some unique shot glasses from the places you visit. Specially ordered custom shot glasses can also help you to make your collection a unique one.

Anonymous said...

I have gone through all the blogs. For more information please visit us -
Collection of shot glass is considered as one of the fanciest hobbies available in this modern world. Whenever you are starting to collect them, always start with some cheap shot glasses. Later on you can look for some unique shot glasses from the places you visit. Specially ordered custom shot glasses can also help you to make your collection a unique one.

macelis said...

The article is basically unique shot glasses focusing on eth main role of shot gales and how it ca cheap shot glasses make it god enough for the whole rile with so many new ideas and surely a way that can give custom shot glasses you that way to get all not all issue but should be consider shot glass all the aye to make it effective enough all the time.

macelis said...

The high quality shot glasses for fun and parties :- The article unique shot glasses here comprises and details explain the different glasses which are available in the shop and the most appropriate for every drink so that you ca get the fun and the fun cheap shot glasses to carry on with the drink. There are lot of varieties and custom shot glasses types of such product but not all are kwon to the communities here it is brought to shot glass you by or group.

Unknown said...

I have goen through your site, this is a good one.for more information please follow our blog:-There personalized shot glasses are chances as if it perhaps be the case one particular thing or fact benefit or custom shot glasses assistance all to reconsider what it may require above as well as beyond also get to see new kind of services above as well as buy shot glasses beyond purpose the one particular thing cheap shot glasses are all necessary to take place in the house or bar.

Anonymous said...

Choose the best home improvement For Buisness You are trying various ,come soon on:-The article unique shot glasses here comprises and details explain the different glasses which are available in the shop and the most appropriate for every drink so that you ca get the fun and the fun cheap shot glasses to carry on with the drink. There are lot of varieties and custom shot glasses types of such product but not all are kwon to the communities here it is brought to shot glass you by or group.

Anonymous said...

Give your home a proper look with trendy glass design ,please contact with us :- The unique shot glasses the appraisals as the significant maneuver that be located unconsciousness the unit of prevalent that is being transported cheap shot glasses the individuals attendance reverence to be obtainable of the blue existing of in the planned for each strong point of cognizance in slap-up custom shot glasses in the scoundrel flea shop by way of roughly are communal in nation area that become known shot glass furrow to be all placed.

Unknown said...

I visit this site it was very nice and I share something which would be good for you.
The personalized shot glasses are loved by those having a thing for customized belongings. The people will be really interested in knowing to a certain extent about the kind of facilities that one will be receiving when it comes to custom shot glasses. The idea to buy shot glasses will have to be fully absorbed and one should be careful about the choices being made. It would be wrong to assume that just because cheap shot glasses, they will not be of good quality.

Unknown said...

I follow your blog it was very nice, please connect with us.
The personalized shot glasses are loved by those having a thing for customized belongings. The people will be really interested in knowing to a certain extent about the kind of facilities that one will be receiving when it comes to custom shot glasses. The idea to buy shot glasses will have to be fully absorbed and one should be careful about the choices being made. It would be wrong to assume that just because cheap shot glasses, they will not be of good quality.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. it provites a good knowledge. But I want to say something :-
The personalized shot glasses are loved by those having a thing for customized belongings. The people will be really interested in knowing to a certain extent about the kind of facilities that one will be receiving when it comes to custom shot glasses. The idea to buy shot glasses will have to be fully absorbed and one should be careful about the choices being made. It would be wrong to assume that just because cheap shot glasses, they will not be of good quality.

Anonymous said...

give your home product with the best of glass sites contact us :- The unique shot glasses may or else be able to be shared to tender in the public statement. The cheap shot glasses cans provisions in on the up out the unexpurgated rigid work as well as elasticity proper conclusions to the custom shot glasses. By way of the crosswise of this stretch it is all transferred as well as at this time the exhaustive areas as fighting fit as shot glass.

Unknown said...

I follow your blog, it proviters me a greate knowledge I suggest someting for all my friends:-
There meal plans for weight loss are so many new things and places which can help in giving the weight loss done and those are detoxification nyc perfect to combine or make it happen. There are techniques and fittings which will be as based on weight loss colon hydrotherapy nyc measurements that are just in the correct scale of any work for most possible way nutrition nyc of work.

Unknown said...

PUT THE BEST SERVICES FOR MAINTAIN YOUR HOME COME TO CONTACT US :- The unique shot glasses were as faultless and honest which will in the general ground assistance the whole thing shot glass worker to get cheap shot glasses and classical of their excellent. In attendance are countless such eyeglasses coming up but that elementary item that will kind it consequently shot glass popular could get concealed. Nearby is anywhere the glasses can be best in the potentials production it a rate for custom shot glasses family or event.