We have been here for a little over three weeks and since the kids are otherwise occupied, now is as good a time as any to give a run down of everything we have been up. No pictures though, sorry! We lost our digital camera and have yet to replace it. Though, I'm hopeful a couple of house guests will provide ample photographic evidence that the kids are as adorable as ever.
We got in late afternoon on Friday, October 12. Saturday morning some guys from Eric's new unit were roped into unloading our truck. I am grateful to them as well as grateful that it took less than an hour, so they didn't have to give up too much of their Saturday. The kids and I made ourselves scarce by inviting ourselves over to our friends' house. The next few days were a blur of trying to empty and put away as many boxes as possible before Eric left for his SOS course. We were pretty successful, if I do say so myself. There are a few boxes in our room to unpack still and all of the boxes of pictures have yet to be emptied, but for the most part, we are pretty settled. Which is great, because I was correct in my suspicion that I would have no motivation to unpack as a single parent. This is evidenced by the fact there are two boxes of my things still sitting on the floor of our bedroom. I'll get to them tomorrow...
We have loved the weather here. The kids can play outside every day and they do. We have four kids on our circle that are close to the boys ages and a new infant next door. He doesn't hang out as much as the other kids, but I'm sure he'll be in the mix soon enough.
We also live within walking distance to a post office, grocery store, library, coffee shop, McDonald's (though not the cool one...more on that later), the high school (with great sport events), and a Chinese Restaurant. We had no idea when we rented this house we were hitting the jackpot as far as location. It also is great that Dom just started riding his bike and his confidence and ability has grown by leaps and bounds since we moved in. I am not exaggerating when I say he has ridden his bike 2 hours every day.
We have visited the beach three times and as we left it yesterday, I realized it was getting easier and easier each time. Now that I know what to expect, I can prep a little better and it doesn't feel like such a chore to get the kids de-sanded after our venture.
We started attending a great church with a priest who is very welcoming of young children. In a lot of ways, the architecture reminds me of St. Lawrence. There seem to be a lot of families there and I am looking forward to enrolling the kids into the religious ed program so they can start meeting some of them.
The kids and I have been doing pretty well with Eric's absence. Homeschooling really helps give an organization to our day as well as a lot of activities to fall back on when the minutes start to go by slower. It is also very helpful that Megan visited last week and Mitzi is coming this week. And then, it will be Thanksgiving!! Though, you'd never know it based on the weather here. 82 today and yesterday. I see pictures of people bundled up and remember that it is November and not the summer.
Ok, that is enough for now. I will try and get a post up about our Halloween. Will is still celebrating it. He has worn his costume at least a part of each day since Wednesday!
2 comments:
sounds great! Hope the McDonald's story is great--nice cliffhanger!
saw megs pix things look hunky dory,,love to all great gramps
Post a Comment