04 August 2013

Swimming Lessons

Our days follow a pretty similar pattern.  Wake up, kids play while I clean up the kitchen, go to either therapy or the gym or the library, eat lunch, play, read books, play, welcome Dad home, play,  make supper, eat supper, clean up, play, get ready for bed, say prayers, read, turn off the lights, crash on the couch.  We do, on occasion, break from this routine.  The past couple of weeks were just such a time.  We had swimming lessons!

 As we had procrastinated on signing the boys up, the only lessons available at the same time were at 8 AM.  Now, those with children in school may not think much of this time.  However, as a homeschooling family, we seldom have to be anywhere before 9:30, so that first morning was quite the ordeal.  I kept thinking to myself as I left the house at 7:30 to make it in time for the first lesson that those of you who do this on a regular basis through the school year (including those winter months when the sun is not even shining, yet), are crazy.
 However, it only took a couple of days to get into the appropriate sleeping routine.  Just in time to mistakenly show up on a morning when they didn't have lessons...ah well. 

Molly was very disappointed that she did not get to partake in the water activities, but found solace in a bottle of bubbles and the sinks in the bathroom. Actually, she compromised with any exposure to water.  There was a rain shower one day and she had a great time splashing in puddles.  She also really liked the water fountain.  But, everyone present was well aware of where she'd rather be as she immediately kicked off her shoes and headed towards the pool anytime someone opened the gate.
 Both boys did an incredible job at their lessons.  Will enjoyed talking to the lifeguard who assisted with his class of beginners.  I could hear his voice telling her story after story while he waited for his turn to swim with his instructor.  His favorite game was: "What time is it Mr. Shark?" and his voice would ring out over the others as he gleefully allowed himself to be eaten for dinner...thus becoming the shark in the next game.
 Dom did a great job as well.  He has perfected the jelly fish float which I believe was once called the Dead Man Float.  And his jumps from the diving board impressed a couple other moms who had kids in the class.  As there was a glare when I was taking pictures, I didn't realize I missed the actual jump until I was uploading the pictures at the end of the lessons.  Trust me, he was great :)!
Both boys passed their respective levels and we look forward to signing them AND Molly up for lessons next summer.  Hopefully we'll get in early enough to sign them up for a couple of sessions.  For now, we'll look forward to sleeping in for the next 10 months. 

2 comments:

Liz said...

I guess I'll get to be the grandparent swim playmate later this month. The water better be warm enough for me! Splash contest, here we come!

Nana said...

As a former swimming teacher, we called it the jelly fish float. No doubt kids gave it the name "dead man float." Probably because of all the westerns that we watched on TV.

Need to get these sports minded kids ready for summer olympics! And by the way, Fr. Steve thinks you are great parents getting the kids involved with le Tour!!