It is way more impressive than the building we visited a few weeks ago, but then again, Georgia was one of the original 13 colonies, so it has a lot more history. Not the least of which was its experience during the Civil War. But, by far the kids favorite aspect was this lit up area of the floor. They treated it like a dance floor. Eric and I made some attempts to rein in our children's exuberant behavior until we reminded ourselves that they had just sat for 5 hours and need to expend some energy and that the building was deserted as it was after 4 on a Friday afternoon.
Another highlight for the kids was a memorial to a shoe shiner.
Naturally everyone took turns both having their shoes shined as well as shining each others shoes.
And here is a picture that Dom took. Both Eric and I noticed the quote on the side that you may or may not be able to read, and were struck by it. And I liked the artistic angle to Dom's photo, thus I have included it.
"Democratic institutions exist by reason of their virtue. If ever they perish it will be when you have forgotten the past, become indifferent to the present, and utterly reckless as to the future" ~Tom Watson
And as all resourceful children are capable of doing, Molly found the best substitute for a slide available:
Next: We visit the Children's Museum and go swimming
2 comments:
Did you do this trip sans technology?
I remember your Grandpa and Grandma Mac taking us for Sunday drives. We would wind up over at the capitol in Jeff City. I was probably about 4. I loved to climb the steps to see if the door was open "this time." It never was! But my folks must have decided it was good for me to climb stairs to get rid of pent up energy. Hadn't thought about this for years 'til I saw your blog.
Post a Comment