11 September 2013

Leading by example

Today may be the greatest success story I've had in teaching my children appropriate behavior by leading be example.  For the last few weeks I've insisted on quiet time for the hour after we finish reading books.  Molly is generally asleep by that point and the boys have learned to play quietly in the Florida Room as I retire to my bedroom for a quick nap or just alone time.  A major perk of the Florida Room is that they don't necessarily have to be that quiet as long as both that door is shut and my door is shut to escape an irritable mother.  As the days have passed, I have noticed that on seemingly alternating days, the boys have chosen more and more suitable activities for quiet time such as coloring or looking at books.  Yesterday, in fact, after I brought attention to their non-quiet activity outside of the Florida Room and gave the new activity of putting their toys away, the boys brought a giant coloring sheet of the USA and did a super job of sharing the markers and states.  When I reappeared from my room, Will told me how nice Dom was to share his markers and let him color Texas and Dom looked on with pride and told me how he was waiting patiently to color Kansas.  I might add that they had done a more than sufficient job of picking up all of their toys.  (Another bonus of the Florida Room is there is a black curtain that I can draw across the door and effectively ignore any untidiness that may be occurring, though the boys really do a nice job of basically putting all of the toys in the appropriate areas.  Enough to meet my admittedly low expectations anyhow)

But, their chosen activity for today has made yesterday's rosy memory fade a little.  As I came out of my room to see what they were up to, I was met with silence.  I looked to see if they perhaps were reading or doing a puzzle.  Nope, they are both sound asleep in their beds.  I don't think I know the last time all three kids have been asleep in the afternoon.  I think I may just go tidy up the Florida Room for them!

I've been wanting to share this picture for a while.  They boys' and Molly's new favorite show is The Super Mario Brothers.  For a couple of days, the boys walked around in their Mario Brothers costumes and fixed numerous plumbing issues.

*Update* After closer inspection of the Florida Room, I decided my time was better used making cookies.  Will was the first to wake up, so he and I tidied the Florida Room and will be the first to partake in the cookies.  The other two are still asleep.  2 hours later.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Perhaps bedtime will be off tonight. And no USA soccer to watch.....