Last May, Eric and I took the plunge and purchased season passes to the water park in Destin. Some may question why with free access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world we would choose to spend money on a waterpark. The answer is simple: No Sand. The facts that there were great lifeguards, fun slides, and sweet 80's music were just peripheral to the numero uno reason for enjoying The Big Kahuna on multiple weekends through the summer.
By the end of the summer, Eric and I were pretty much over the slides, but the kids still loved them.
I waited until the last day of the park being open to actually take pictures. The fact Eric's parents came aided in this endeavor as I could stand on the dry surface as Grandma Liz helped chaperone our 6,5, and 2 year old down the slides:
The boys learned very quickly to always wait for us after going down a slide, or find us as soon as possible. Molly has yet to get that memo, but her life jacket slows her down enough that we can generally grab some strap and haul her back before she gets too far.
The park has several distinct areas and my personal favorite is called Crocodile Flats. It is basically the kiddie pool. I can sit in a beach chair and watch as my kids frolic in the shallow water or go down a few slides that are meant for kids only. By the end of the summer the thought started to occur to me that I could probably take the kids by myself as long as we stayed in that area. But, by the time I psyched myself up for this sort of endeavor, the park was only open on the weekends and the point was moot. Maybe next year?
The last time we went to Kahuna's Molly developed a habit that wouldn't be as funny if I was facing a summer of this behavior. But as the first times she did it, I was only with her and not watching other kids, it didn't bother me too much. This habit is to get out of a shallow pool (in the main area of the park) and to take a flying leap into the lazy river that flows around it. She would do it right by the life guard, too. As she had never done this before, it took me by surprise the first time. By the second, I was more ready, but still too far to grab her. However, when she showed the signs on Sunday to repeat her new favorite rebellious act, I just told Rick and Liz to watch. She turned around, gave a little smile, and then leapt into the lazy river to float peacefully away. Poor Eric got whistled at as he jumped in to fetch her. We all had a nice laugh...except Eric. Again, I really only find this humorous because it was our last day of going for the season. Next season this behavior would warrant a timeout. Something that Molly has become quite familiar with lately.
Anyhow, we all had a nice time and headed for Fro-Yo afterwards to cap off a summer of sand free water park fun. I am sure that after a fall, winter, and spring of sandy beaches, we'll have had our fill of real waves and welcome the fake ones again.
2 comments:
I'm sorry I missed my change to go. I love a good water slide and lazy river. :)
Be warned. We were all exhausted after our 2 hour trip. Molly was asleep before we made it to the bridge. She woke up for breakfast. Will slept 13 hours too and was late for breakfast.
Post a Comment