09 February 2014

How We Are Coping

 The kids and I have been living without Eric for about three weeks now.  As a result there have been changes to our normal routine.  But, the truth is, these were changes that we were already implementing...they just got fast-tracked when I became a single parent.  For one, Cinderella now does our laundry...
 The first was the purchase of a Keurig Coffee Maker.  I do not drink a lot of coffee, but I do like to have a cup most mornings.  If for no other reason, to procrastinate from actually cleaning up the kitchen or getting dressed.  However, despite being married to Eric, I have never learned how to make coffee his way (the French Press way).  Not to mention, I would waste a lot of coffee if I made a full pot.  A bonus to the Keurig purchase is that it is not only simple enough for me to use...it is simple enough for Dom (and Molly) to use.  Dom can make his own hot chocolate in the morning and quickly learned how I take my coffee (black with a healthy spoonful of Swiss Miss).

This purchase also means that we are one more step closer to realizing my dream of giving guests more of a hotel style experience when they come to visit the white beaches of Destin.
 Another development is that the boys help a lot more in the kitchen.  They already were really good about cleaning up after supper, but I've also added unloading the dishwasher to their chores.  Which is only fair since half of the dishes are theirs.
One of my favorite changes is how we do breakfast.  The kids were already responsible for getting their own bowls, spoons, and cereal, but they still needed our assistance in the milk department.  I alleviated this need by purchasing a pitcher at the local bargain box for a dollar.  Now, I pour what I feel is a solid amount of milk and the boys, at least, can serve themselves.  Everyone really enjoys having the milk on the table and I enjoy not having to constantly hop up and down to get the kids things they need/want (see that part earlier about having coffee).
Our evening routine has also taken a slight change.  We eat about an hour earlier (between 5 and 5:30) which gives us plenty of time to clean-up and get changed for bed.  Once everyone is in their pajamas, we sit and read a few books, say prayers, brush teeth, and then watch an episode or 2 of Ninjago.  The kids go to bed by 8 or earlier without complaint (the exceptions to this happen when KU has a game or we are watching the Olympics).  Actually, since Molly gave up her nap, she is often asleep by 7:30. 

All in all, we are doing pretty well.  But, don't get me wrong.  I am in total survival mode.  I am really looking forward to seeing Eric and putting a bit of variety into our routine...and our meals.  But, I'll write about that at a different time.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Isn't it amazing how we part time single moms adapt. Not that we want that for all the time, but it does work when we need it to.