We were probably one of the few families in America that welcomed the switch from Daylight Saving Time to Standard. The big reason is we attend 7:30 Mass and we were actually able to make it on time this past weekend due to the extra hour of sleep everyone received.
However, Molly has not really adjusted at all to the new time. This isn't so much the problem as the fact she proceeds to love on John so much when she comes in to snuggle, that he wakes up. This isn't so much the problem as he is a very happy, smiley baby (as opposed to a few children that seemed to wake up crying...at least that is how I remember it). But! With Eric going in to work by 6:30, I am now the sole parent from 6:30 to 5:00 or later. This was not such a problem when we all slept in until 8 or so. Or when Dom and Will got up and were able to get Molly breakfast, but their bodies have switched to the new time and they continue to sleep until 7:30. Good kids!
But, all of this brings us to this morning. Due to Molly putting herself to bed at 6 PM last night (due to her early morning risings and propensity to play hard all day), she was in our bedroom a little before 6 AM this morning. By 6:15, she and John were playing peek-a-boo with Agnes. This game consisted of Molly putting Agnes in John's face insisting that he liked it and me flinging it away. He always smiled when this happened which had the effect of positively reinforcing both of our opinions on the matter...
At any rate, this went on until 6:30 when Molly indicated that she needed to use the facilities. John also indicated that he had recently used the facilities. I proceeded to the changing table as I hear Molly's angelic voice request my assistance in the bathroom. After taking care of Molly, who I told to go eat her breakfast that Eric had laid out, I discovered that John's diaper was insufficient for his morning ritual. Simultaneously, I heard a crash from the kitchen and the false tears of the perpetrator. It is at this point...I lost my cool. I think it was the false tears that really did me in.
My loud lecture to Molly about how to proceed when making a mess (spoiler alert: Do not cry at the top of your lungs thinking this will somehow invoke sympathy), awoke Dom and Will and they came running. As I was on a roll, I lit into them about leaving out markers and paper the night before. As Dom put them away, he made the observation in his sweet way that I must not have slept well last night. I know this is a survival tactic on his part as when I have not slept well...the boys should steer clear. Smart kid.
But, his observation had the effect of immediately diffusing my anger and self-pity. I rinsed out John's clothes, changed Molly and hugged it out, made coffee, and sat down to a breakfast with the boys (Molly had cleaned up her mess by eating the cereal (frosted mini-wheats) from the floor.)
All of the kids are currently in the living room laughing and playing and it has only been about an hour since the morning started out on the wrong foot. I am very lucky, and I wouldn't trade places with anyone...I just really want to know how my kids time these things to happen literally 5 minutes after their father walks out the door?
4 comments:
what happened to kids watching cartoons for hours on end/? used to watch kids next door 1 hr for school...piece cake,,,sounds like j---s doing well,,got johns thank you note ,,,tell him your welcome and have good time love to all,,great gramp
meant doms thank you note lol
Timing is all part of kids DNA! Surely with 4 kiddos you've got that figured out! Things just plain do not happen when Dad's around! Remember summers at the little house on Barker!
I love Dom's observation. I can totally see him making, it, too! Hopefully you've adjusted better to the time change.
Post a Comment