24 March 2015

Concerning Will

  A few weeks ago, Will asked us what it means to be 'bored'.  Eric and I looked at each other and then I looked at Will and told him that he had never been bored a day in his life.  Will's imagination is something to behold.  He is constantly working on scenarios and acting them out.  It might be with his toys or with is siblings, but Will's ideas are generally the ones that everyone goes along with.  The major exception lately has been with basketball and the tournament.  He has bought into Dom's enthusiasm wholeheartedly.  And as he tends to do...gone even further.  This year, they didn't just make brackets and brackets and brackets to recreate the tournament in our driveway with anyone in the neighborhood who would like to get schooled play.  Yesterday, I walked into the Florida Room and discovered they were drawing up plays.  Now, as one 3rd grader pointed out...they can't really do the plays because Will is shorter and not quite the speed demon with great ball handling skills that he dreams he is.  But, if anyone is going to work longer and harder to get where he wants to be, it is Will.

I just wanted to document some of the reasons Will is never bored.  He loves puzzles.  All puzzles.  His current favorite are those crossword type puzzles where they group the words by how many letters are in them and you place them in the boxes.  One day, we had company and I had to tell him to put it away to go play with his friends.  Their mom thought that was pretty hilarious.  And just yesterday, I comforted him after a frustrating game of basketball by showing him a new puzzle.  Except this one had hints given in the form of the letter Q being already place in the puzzle.   Will asked about this and when given the answer replied: "I don't need any hints".  Which is true.

Will reads books.  A lot of them.  He is someone who actually prefers non-fiction I'm discovering.  I think because he can tell you all sorts of random facts while you are trying to figure out if you have the right ingredients for dinner.  One week it is planets, another snakes, another Benjamin Franklin.  Yesterday he got distracted looking up how to spell a word in a dictionary...because he was reading the definitions of all the other words. Though, he is not above reading fiction and re-telling you his favorite parts.

His behavior in church is practically impeccable.  Now that he can read, he follows along in the Mass and sings the songs.  However, prior to being able to participate, he would do two things to stay quiet...sort of.  The first, I'm pretty sure, was he would replay favorite movies in his mind.  I suspect this only because of a couple of times when he forgot where he was and loudly said a line from the movie out loud (Cars 2, to be exact).  He would also use his fingers as cars, rocket ships, or people.  We don't allow toys in our pew...he found a way around that.

Will finds just about everything interesting (the number 1 reason he is never bored...right?) .  He'll open and close the freezer door over and over because he is fascinated by the light that is off...AND THEN ON!!  I know if I start to do something like rolling circular blocks along the floor, Will will be the first to want to take part in it and see how far they will go.  If I were to lay out any 4 random objects...Will would figure out something to do with them to save the world.  (Slight exaggeration...only slight) 

And lastly, he just likes to play.  He wakes up and plays.  He hurries through chores to play.  He gets his schoolwork done as quickly as he can to get back to playing.  Unless there is a puzzle to be completed...and then you'll see him later.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Eric was similar at that age regarding books. Always learning about stuff--planets, volcanoes, snakes, etc...I distinctly remember selecting a Beverly Cleary book at the library just so there was a fiction book in the stack for him. Love it, though.