22 January 2016

Maybe we'll get a camera this weekend?

It is really hard to not have a camera when your kids are totally awesome and cool and everyone wants to hang out with them.  For example, I did not get a picture when the 5 boys in my acquaintance (my three and two neighbors) all donned the capes that Grandma made them and had an epic light saber battle in the backyard.  At the same time, Molly was wearing her Princess Leia costume complete with wig.

I did not get a picture when I totally schooled the boys (including Eric) at knock-out on our new basketball hoop.  I also didn't get a picture of all of the kids helping Eric assemble the new basketball hoop.  John was particularly helpful and I blew his mind a little when I showed him the plastic tools that he could use however he wished.

I did not get a picture of Molly coloring and reading her new books.  Or her colorful outfits.

I did not get a picture of Will excitedly telling me about learning re-grouping on Kahn, but how he already knew it, but now totally understands the concept better than I did until college.  Kahn and Will are a match made in heaven.

I did not get a picture of the three eldest playing Just Dance in our living room yesterday as the rain poured down outside.

I did not get a picture of Dom's excited face upon discovering there is an ENTIRE section in the newspaper devoted to sports.  I don't think he even realized the comics were on the last page.  Until Will realized that every time we get a newspaper (we just subscribed this week), there is an ENTIRE page of comics.  Shout out to Robert: He's already realized that Pearls Before Swine is hilarious.  At least that was my interpretation when I heard him mutter to himself: "I have to read Pearls Before Swine"

I did not get a picture of John carrying the marble works construction around the house so that at any given time he could put it down and play with it.  Who said it had to be in the office, anyhow?

I did not get a picture of the light bulb over my head when I realized that I would be much more hands-on with Dom's writing if I sent him to school.  Now that he and I are writing together, he is more relaxed and I am not angry and frustrated when it comes time for another writing assignment.  Win/win/win  It should be obvious that people have to work really hard at some things, but I forget it all of the time and it is a failing in me.  Writing does not come easily to Dom and that is not his fault.  Fortunately, I can see steady improvement as I guide him through the process rather than just throw the assignment at him and expect him to do it.  Thank goodness for light bulbs.

I did not get a picture of John's new bedtime routine of touching everyone's noses.  While saying nose.  Or how happily the other three play along with this bedtime delaying tactic.

I did get a picture of all four playing with the train tracks:


Eric and I are sleeping in later on the weekend than we have in 10 years because of our eldest happily entertaining John until we get up.  I really need to get them to change diapers.  Just as soon as I get another camera...

3 comments:

Ann Strunk said...

Well, I will continue to create images in my mind until you finally get a camera. :)

Unknown said...

Want me you send you mine? I never use it.

Nana said...

That's why reading a book or listening to a story on the radio is much better than going to the movies. Imagination is a wonderful gift.