06 February 2016

The boys' writing

On Fridays the boys are suppose to write a paragraph about what they learned or did during the week.  Despite the fact this is assigned every week, you'd think I had stayed up extra late devising a brand new way to torture them judging by their reactions.  Every Friday.

However, this week, I was pleasantly surprised at their submissions.  Homeschooling is a relative grading scale as each child is really only competing against his previous term's work.  Dom, in particular, has come a great way since the first week of school last fall.  He's even made quite a few strides in the last few weeks.

Dom's paragraph (I've edited the spelling)
  This week I learned several things.  In English I learned simile and metaphor.  In math I studied kilograms and grams.  In spelling I reviewed words like urn and journey.  I am looking forward to learning more next week.

He'd brought out a thesaurus to change the word 'learn' in every sentence.  This is something he is really working on and I was so proud of how he found new words.  He even mixed up his sentence structures a bit (as in every sentence did not go 'I learned...').  His conclusion sentence was also pretty solid and he didn't ask me for help with it.  Great job, Dominic!

Will's paragraph
  I did two things this week.  These things were English and math.  The first thing I did was English.  I did English first to get it out of the way.  The second thing I did was math.  I did math because I like to learn.

Will has a gift of writing exactly what he is thinking.  If you received a Thank You note from him, you maybe got a glimpse of that.  He used the standard form we've learned on writing a paragraph, but I really liked what he said about English...and math, of course.

Anyway, I know that neither of them are winning the Pulitzer Prize anytime soon, but I just wanted to document today's writing.  Because today was a good day.  Those are the ones you hold close to get through the bad days.

Great job, Boys!


2 comments:

Robert said...

Glad you are imparting how math is the most important language to learn.

Nana said...

Dom and Will,
I love to read your letters. Your ways of expressing yourselves always show your soul. Keep up the good work.