26 February 2018

January in Review

There was a time I use to get two posts up a week...I blame John.
The month of January started in Oklahoma for us.  We spent 4 days visiting with Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Megan, Uncle Scuba, and Zachary, and Benjamin.  While, Grandma crocheted all four kids stocking caps.  Which they wore for the duration of January as I refused to let the house get too warm.  On a related note, not a single one of us has gotten the flu.  Thrifty AND health conscious! 

Granted, keeping the house so cold probably was a root cause of a mini-rebellion...which I squelched.  I used a Force Shield. 
We weren't home three days, and it was time to celebrate our Molly's birthday!  She had a tea party with some friends and also got a lot of great gifts from family  Including a Tux notebook that bore a striking resemblance to her.
Eric also received some late birthday gifts as we were in Oklahoma for his actual birthday. (Don't worry, I brought one and his parents came through big time with a 'Crap Cat' Tie from the Men in Blazers...Eric's only really wish...I got him lazer tag guns because I thought it was a great family gift.  We all enjoyed playing with them in what was once my in-laws quiet neighborhood)  That said, The Shire candle from Mitzi was a big hit.
And it went well with the Lord of the Rings puzzle (over 2000 pieces!) that I bought months ago knowing our family should have it.  As the head of the family and resident Tolkien expert, of course Eric was going to get it.  Never mind he isn't the biggest fan of puzzles.  He'll really appreciate it one day.  As long as John doesn't lose the cool 3D pieces.  Oh, yeah, it is 3D.
Molly had a delicious brownie cake.
And got this completely adorable outfit from Grandma and Grandpa.  Sans gun.  She borrowed that from Dom.
Nana gave these sidewalk chalk stencils that have since made our driveway the envy of the cul-de-sac.  (The above are my creation as I showed Molly how to use them)
Dom looked particularly dapper one Sunday for Mass.  He basically wears the exact same outfit to church every week.  As does Will.  But, they are always neat and it saves a ton of money...so, I don't mind in the least.  It makes me appreciate even more the idea of uniforms.  The boys always know exactly what they will wear and that really streamlines their morning routine on Sundays.
John sporting his hat.  It happens to match not only this flannel coat, but a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt Ann gave him for Christmas.  And he is pretty cute, too!
Molly belting it out in the car.  In the new fashionable way: Headphones under the hat!
It is crazy how well her clothes all tend to unintentionally match.  For example, her winter coat this year is the insert to a coat I bought Dom 4 years ago.  But, it is so cute on her and the pink complements it so nicely.

We had another snow day in January, much to the children's excitement.  We took a walk in the early falling snow the night before.  It wasn't as magical as I had hoped as the snow wasn't really falling, yet, and Molly and John were pretty cold and vocal about it.  Will was up for a longer walk, though, and he and I experienced the flakes fall faster and bigger...so that was magical.  I like Will.  He is generally up for anything out of the ordinary.  Like walking in the dark in a 'snowstorm'.
To be honest, I wasn't particularly excited about a snow day in January.  I'm of the "I Love Snow" in December, but bring on spring temperatures by January 2nd variety.  That said, I did enjoy snuggling with John and playing Star Wars Risk with Will. 

Star Wars Risk has a lot of steps, but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty fun.  I would say that the Rebels are pretty heavily favored to win most games.  I have been the sole Empire to win, but that was after a sketchy game where Dom really didn't know what he was doing as far as the rules go.  I may or may not have taken advantage of his weakness, which I felt was fair as I was The Empire.  Though, I also assumed he knew what he was doing since he had played the game several times in the summer after we moved. Will took over at one point for Dom and just shook his head at the chaos he was facing. 

The third weekend in January, Molly and I participated in a Mother/Daughter overnight with the American Heritage Girls.  Molly's best friends from the group were not in attendance and I didn't know the other moms, so we got a lot of quality time just to the two of us.  Highlights of the night away were playing a game like Newlyweds where Molly showed she knew me better than I knew myself.  When asked what my favorite store was...I drew a blank and then went with Thred Up (an online consignment store that I really love)...but, Molly said The Dollar Tree (I love that store!).  Of course, that is my favorite as anyone who reads this blog would know. 

Another highlight was taking a walk and spotting a Hawaii license plate.  Pretty obscure for this neck of the woods.

It was definitely an activity that took my out of my comfort zone, but Molly inspires me daily with how easily she makes friends and her confidence.  It also reminded me that she and I should do more mother/daughter activities.  #GirlPower 
Speaking of Girl Power, John gets roped into being the little sister that Molly doesn't have.  Don't worry, it is just dress-up.  Soon they trade in these clothes for the Mario brothers or various animals.  Or John just declares he is going back to being John and Molly's heart breaks a little. 

For several months we have been discussing cutting Molly's hair.  These discussions generally happen as she is crying after I have detangled her hair.  Finally, we made the appointment and went in.  I think she is super adorable and she loves it because it takes next to no time to brush it.  Plus, she thinks she and I are twins now. 
Yup, just put on some pink glasses and tiara and we would be identical!
We only have a few more months here, so naturally we are still unpacking bit by bit.  Eric re-found the very first Valentine I ever gave him.  I know...I'm such a romantic.
Towards the end of January, Eric and I attended Burns Night on base.  It was an excellent reason to get dolled up and have a night out.  I bought this dress back in the Fall (from Thred Up!) as a possible choice for the Air Force Ball, but went with another (also Thred Up!).  Friends, I even used the blow dryer for the occasion.  It was a big deal!  And Will was all but speechless when I came out of our bedroom.  Molly said I looked lovely.  Which is my favorite compliment.
We rounded out the month with a viewing of Cars 3, so all of the old cars are making a comeback as a new child discovers their magic.  And he likes my old hat as well. (I added a link to my favorite blog post...ever)
Oh, and amid all of that we are trucking away at homeschool.  Will is on track to finish end of March, Dom by the end of April.  Both boys are very independent and know what they are suppose to accomplish every day.   They still prefer reading to just about everything else, though Will enjoys a good math puzzle now and again. 

And Molly is doing a better job of working on academics everyday, but still plays most of the day with John. 

Ok...on to the next month!

1 comment:

Ann Strunk said...

I made the blog, I made the blog!! ;) (Kinda, but I'll take it!)