As such, I made it a point to start reading chapter books out loud that they may not normally pick up, or may not get past the initial chapters. You know, those chapters where a million characters are introduced or the stage is set with incredible details. I know these are stumbling blocks because I stumble over them all of the time. I have every intention to read a quality book...and then find myself scrolling Facebook and reading a silly article about Harry and Megan. Therefore, my goal of reading to the kids was twofold: to expand their minds and mine.
I have not kept a list of the books we have shared over the last few years, but some I can remember: 'Charlotte's Web', 'Where the Red Fern Grows', 'Anne of Green Gables', 'Little Women', 'Cheaper by the Dozen', 'Animal Farm', 'Number the Stars', 'Devil's Arithmetic', 'Sarah: Plain and Tall', 'Winnie-the-Pooh' (FAMILY FAVORITE!), and most recently 'Pride and Prejudice'. <Cue Will to list all of the books I have left off...though, there can't be many>
These 30 minutes of shared time together could easily become an hour or more. Initially, I had to insist Dom listen to the first 5 chapters (of 'girl' books). But, as we dive deeper into the narrative, the kids frequently request '1 more chapter!'. I love that they want to discuss aspects of character development. Freely giving their opinions which include ranking characters as they appear. The wittiest and dryest being favorites (Mr. Bennet!). We question character's motives ("Why would Lydia do that?"...because she is a ridiculous human being...). I also like when they start wondering who in our family most is like our favorite characters...or least favorite characters at times. I am still waiting for them to realize I am obviously Elizabeth Bennet...obviously. Though, Molly is clearly Anne Shirley. Both boys wanted to be Jo March. And, John is Pooh far and away. (Dom is Tigger, Will could be Rabbit, though there is a mean streak in Rabbit that Will doesn't have, and at the moment I can't remember who Molly might be, but isn't Anne enough?)
Having read the majority of these already, I know the plot twists and love seeing the boys and Molly experience these first hand. The "Woahs!" and the giant laughs are just the best. I'm also able to warn them when particularly sad scenes are coming as I ask them to bring the box of tissues. My sons are learning a lot about compassion as they comfort their sobbing story teller. (Matthew...Beth...Old Blue and Little Ann....Charlotte!)
This is all to say, the highlight of my day is when I get into my recliner, snuggle under a blanket, and we all enjoy a few minutes of disappearing into a new world. We still have a bit of 'Pride and Prejudice' to go. (As a side note, Molly and John did not have the attention spans to sit through the long paragraphs of descriptions and dialogue, so we are reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle..a bit more age appropritate. And getting a couple extra copies of the book helped Dom and Will tremendously) .Will found "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' in our library and has been leafing through to read how various scenes have been altered and sharing at dinner. Yesterday, I shared my favorite scene from it and was not let down by the boys' reaction...it had to do with a dream sequence Elizabeth has about Lydia...but, you don't realize it is a dream sequence at first. Comedy gold.
And the greatest compliment of all is when they express interest in reading more by the same author. Which they almost always do. Last night, Will was asking questions about 'Sense and Sensibility'. I asked if he would like to read that next...he said "Maybe...yes, I do!". So, I will add it to the list. As Dom did not object.
But, they will have to wait, because next is: 'Secret Garden'. Seems perfect for March and the first signs of spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment