I have been avoiding writing this post. During the night, about 3 AM, I think it came to me why. Aside from my proclivity to procrastinate, 7 years is a big milestone. You are crossing out of even the least semblance of babyhood. And being the youngest, you have been the baby of the family for 7 years. While trying hard to keep up with everyone including a 14.5 year old. (Happy Half Birthday, Dom!)
You keep up pretty well, but catch naps every couple of weeks. Or at the very least, head to bed early without a fight. As long as the night light is on and you have a good book to read.
As the youngest with a teen brother, you have avoided weekly trips to the grocery store, which means when we do go together, it is almost magical. Though, Lidl is pretty magical. Have you seen the ridiculously low prices?! Yet, that does not mean I will buy everything you see. (Note, I'm really out of practice shopping with kids...)
A new side in our meal rotation is a kale salad that you love. You love it so much you tend to find me when I'm making it and help ("Oh are we have kale salad? YES!"). It is a simple salad of kale, turkey bacon, shredded parmesan cheese, and almonds. With a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. I claim it is the bacon that has won your heart, but you insist that you 'Just Love that dressing', and then offer plenty of critiques of it why consuming the salad: "too much olive oil..." You prefer it more lemony.
Put it all together and shake it up and let chill for a bit. And no matter what else is served, I know at least the salad will be eaten.
While being a little young for some of the games we play, you never complain about just sitting to watch us, content to just be a part of the group. Yet, you are getting to play more and more. One day, your number got called to fill in for a canceled Axis and Allies day due to the weather. And you were as ready to come off the bench any 6 year old could be!
You have favorite characters, just like the rest of America. Even several months after watching the first season of The Mandolorian, his aunt asked him 'Baby, do the magic hand thing!' and John relatively quickly performed. Not quite on cue, but didn't make his parents liars either.
| Playing the part of Tiny Tim in our family's Christmas Carol #NailedIt |
| Waiting for snow! Which came and he loved it! and I loved not having to get anyone dressed to go out and play! |
| Everyone likes snuggling with John. Will said that John hugs are his favorite, too. |
| John is always at the tea party table. "I heard there would be food?" He is always hungry. |
John has been relatively disciplined about doing his schoolwork. Or at least he is creative about what constitutes school. The other day, I asked my two youngest if they had started. Molly honestly said "no" and his reply was "science" as he pointed to a couple of books we have on space. This was not exactly on his 'To-Do" list...but, I was impressed with his snappy answer.
The year of zoom is not our favorite way to learn, but we did attempt a couple of RE classes that way. John took it seriously and raised his hand politely. And then we elected to homeschool RE.
We took advantage of not having any activities to do some weekend trips. And John was a trooper through all of them.
I love his face. And the fact he is always going for a laugh.
| Cucumbers have been a favorite vegetable for a while...until that delicious Kale salad. Just the other night, he let me know that he didn't really love cucumbers anymore. A moment of silence. |
Not sure what Dom is making, but John really does enjoy helping with the prep side of the kitchen.
And now just the photo montage of moments that made me smile from the last year with John
| Car Club |
| I don't quite remember the infraction, but it was serious and there was a document signed after the hearing. |
Happy Birthday John Eugene Anthony! We thank God every day you a part of our family. We love your zest for life. You are always up for watching a basketball game, checking out the super cool thing some sibling has discovered, or listening to a good story. We love your sense of humor, your quick hugs and unreserved statements of loving us, and your ability to get out of trouble because you make me laugh. That said...seriously, start picking up after yourself. It is getting ridiculous! I have failed tremendously with you...
We look forward to the exciting year ahead. Especially as you are entering the age of reason and preparation for First Communion. You and I will both work on our examinations of conscious. John had the idea we could write down our sins so we wouldn't forget when it came time to confess. Not a bad idea.
Today we will celebrate you with all of your favorite things: pancakes, comic books, VG (in moderation), kale salad, pizza, and chocolate cake! We love you to the moon and back and look forward to all that the next year in your life brings! Time for a big hug!
Love,
Mom
3 comments:
A very Happy Birthday to you, Li'l John. Yes, you will always be Li'l John, just like Robin Hood's sidekick! Keep that wonderful smile that lights up the room. We love you, Nana and Li'l Opa and Tux
Happy Birthday, John E.A.! I hope you had a great day filled with all your favorite things. There's something special for you in the mail. Varoooommmm! Love, you're favorite godmother
Happy Birthday, John E.A.! I hope you had a great day filled with all your favorite things. There's something special for you in the mail. Varoooommmm! Love, you're favorite godmother
Post a Comment