15 March 2010

Technology of his generation

Dom has become quite comfortable using some of our technological devices including laptop, digital camera, blue ray disc player, and iTouch. In fact, he has surpassed his parents on some aspects of these devices. One minor example, he figured out before I did that one can go back to the PBS kids home page by clicking an icon at the top of the page. I kept re-typing the address in order to get back to the main page. Though, those that have seen my abilities on this medium will confirm that this is not all that impressive as my computer abilities are pretty limited.

However, Saturday night Dom did something that even blew Eric away. We have allowed Dom to use the iTouch for a few games in order to keep him entertained in waiting rooms or in the car on trips. He has watched us use it and knows that we most often use it to check our email. He mimics our behavior and when asked what he is doing he'll often reply: "I'm checking my email, ok?" (As a side note, when we go for walks in front of our house, Dom will go to the front door to get the "email". ) He has become more curious about different icons and I have actually received an email from him. We've questioned whether he has ordered pizzas on occasion, and often find the icons have been rearranged or even deleted from time to time. As one may guess, the screen can get pretty smudged from little fingers constantly touching it. On Saturday, Eric had turned off the iTouch to clean the screen and when he turned it back on, discovered that our clever 3-year-old had enabled a locking feature which one needed a password to unlock. Dom at the time had wanted to play a game and we kept telling him the game was broken. We figured he had just been pressing buttons and would have no clue what password he had set. Eric had laid the iTouch down, intending to figure out what hoops he would have to jump through in order to unlock it. It wasn't a minute later and Dom says in a casual voice "I fixed it." We look to find the iTouch unlocked and all applications working. Eric looked up the code and passed it to Dom again to try and unlock it. He pushed in the same four numbers and unlocked it. We changed the code to something we would remember, should it be locked again. As for the code Dom chose, please tell me I have nothing to be worried about: "6666".


3 comments:

MrsKBJ said...

LOL! What a smart little man!! :o) Wait until he is 4! Don't leave your car keys laying around!! :O)

Robert said...

I think Dom actually did this post...

Liz said...

I'm impressed, Dom! Owen is a little wizard on our iTouch, too. Luckily he hasn't figured out email yet.