The chalkboard that Eric made has come in quite handy as with the nicer weather we have moved our lessons outside. We have also started some simple addition problems using counters. I have discovered that I love writing math problems on the chalkboard. The click of the chalk as I write the numbers gives me a little thrill I can't quite explain. Perhaps math would not have such a bad reputation if all children could do their exercises on individual boards. Like they did in the one room school houses. The following are a series of pictures in which Dom shows off the things he learned the previous week to Eric:
He uses the poker chips to do the addition. I initially showed him this method in January, but it was too early (and we didn't have the chalkboards). He was not interested so we just worked on other things until a week ago. He picked it up immediately when I reintroduced him to it. I give a lot of credit to the chalkboard.
And as you can see, Dom has just taken off with his mathematic abilities:
Needless to say, Eric was quite impressed.
3 comments:
I knew that kid was gifted!! A math prodigy!!
So Dom is doing Eric's PhD work now? Not fair!
And I have to say, you saying chalkboards are worthless is pretty lame. I like chalkboards!!
What??? You didn't say that? Oh, but you did. --> "Chalkboards + Math = Awesome." Well, Liesel, Math = Awesome, so Chalkboards must equal 0. That's right, I just proved my theory. QED suckah! Math major strikes again =)
Dr pepper came out my nose when I saw this. Too funny!
Post a Comment