19 April 2012

Who needs toys?

Yesterday as we were waiting for the B-25s to fly over our heads (to be written about soon!), we discussed that children really don't need to be expensive, it's parents who make expensive decisions that are not needed and seldom appreciated.  I.E. children would be just as excited (if not more) to stay at a hotel less than a mile from their home, than to see famous landmarks hundreds of miles (and thousands of dollars) away.

For my part, I have seen first hand that if you refuse to buy the toys that your children "just have to have", they will eventually make do with what they already have.  Which leads me to my story.  Several weeks ago, my children were introduced to "The Hungry Hippos" game at a friend's house.  I recall that I also wanted this game as a child.  It was awesome then and apparently has maintained its appeal over the years.  Now, as a parent I see why I never had this game.  Because, my mom was probably smarter than every other adult who succumbed to their children's arguments that they would be eternally happy with said game and never ask for anything again...or for 10 minutes, whichever happened first.  That all being said, I have heard there is a travel sized game with a plastic lid that would keep all the balls contained, which I had thought of as a possibility....until this morning.

Dom had asked for his second breakfast, which lead to Molly and Will also asking for their second breakfasts: Dry Pops.  A few minutes after I looked up from my paper to gales of laughter.  Dom and Will were throwing a few on the floor, laying down, and then "springing forward" to eat as many as possible.  Later, they did re-vamp the game to just using bowls.  I think I preferred the original.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I remember seeing Hungry, Hungry Hippos and was never tempted to buy it. Truly, (sorry Liesel), a stupid game. Also Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots. Never could see the point. More Legos? No problem. Another Barbie outfit? Done! Another size soccer ball? OK. Glad to see then can entertain themselves. I'll put money in their college funds next time.