27 June 2012

A post from Molly and me

It has been a while, and with the way we do things around here, if I were to wait until our trip pictures were uploaded, it would be an even greater while.  So I will postpone my trip posts for a bit and just give a brief update of what we've done since our return.

First, the boys are in Vacation Bible School this week.  They both seem to be enjoying it a lot and have been programmed to say things like:  "Whoever you are...TRUST GOD".  And considering there are much, much worse things to be programmed to say, Eric and I are quite pleased.  The times of the school are from 6:30 pm to 9 pm.  I assume this is to accomodate any daycare kids.  Though the hours would normally be late, the boys are still a bit on Central Time, so they appear to be doing just fine and I'm enjoying the later wake up time in the morning.

Eric has been using this time to get a little more work in on his dissertation.  Which leaves Molly and me alone for the evening.  And between you and me, I LOVE IT!!!  I am getting to know Molly in a totally new way.  I had forgotten what it is like to interact with a 1-year-old as I normally just leave her to play with her brothers and swoop in when needed.  She is delightful.  Something people have been trying to tell me, but as I only seem to interact with her when she is tired and whiny, that had become my overall impression of our third child.   Another great thing is that she is ready to go to bed by 7:30 without her brothers keeping her up.  Or perhaps she is just bored with my company and knows that when she awakens her true playmates will be there.  Either way, I go off the clock at 7:35 for a good 2 hours.  It is awesome.  I don't even know when I had this sort of set-up where I don't feel guilty that someone else is watching my children; therefore, I'm trying to rush through whatever I was suppose to be enjoying.  I originally thought I would use this time to get some chores done around the house that prove nearly impossible to accomplish with three assistants under the age of 6, but quickly abandoned that idea for a much more pleasant one:

I eat chocolate and watch whatever I want on TV.

For the purposes of this week it has been re-runs of the show "Psych".   It is fantastic.  I laugh out loud at times.  And as Eric would never want to watch it, I am reveling in this freedom.  (That sounds like Eric doesn't ever let me watch what I want to watch.  On the contrary, he will sit through period dramas and Austen adaptations and critique them with me.  "Psych" just happens to be one of a very few shows where we don't see eye-to-eye.  Ergo, it is ideal for the unique situation in which I find myself.)

But, enough about that.  During the day the kids and I have quickly gotten back into the swing of things.  We spend a lot of time outside and do a lot of puzzles, games, and coloring.   Which brings me to today's great moment.  It has been incredibly dry here in Dayton.  And it is getting hotter.   So today, being the great mom that I am, I set up the sprinkler as well as filled 7 water guns and brought out a tub of water.  The kids had a great time running through the sprinkler and shooting one another.  As I was talking to my sister on the phone I over hear Will say "it is floating".  The children had moved to the tub of water and were watching it intently.  They had started putting different objects (namely, a couple of Cars 2 figurines (why figurines and not just cars?  because the wheels don't turn...story for a different post)) in the water to see whether they would float or sink.  Will looked up at me and exclaimed:  "We are doing Science!"  Granted, he will say this anytime they are making a mess and would prefer to be commended as opposed to berated.   I couldn't have been more proud, though.  Dom was pretty good at guessing what would sink or float and William was about 50/50 (since he guessed everything would sink).  I suspect we will be doing this science project for many days to come.

All right, that is enough for now.  Molly is indicating it is time to go to bed and I have a date with some Lindt Truffles and Netflix.

Next:  In which Will outwits his parents.

2 comments:

Robert said...

As long as Will doesn't try to find out if Molly floats or sinks...

Anonymous said...

something clicked when i saw MOLLY AND ME 1945 movie title with gracie field the star