Molly recently received a dress from her Grandma Liz. After some stubbornness on her part, Eric enticed her to put it on. And she loved it. She twirled and danced throughout the kitchen. I apologize that I didn't get her hair brushed for the event!
Since I have so many pictures of her I will give you a not so brief update of what Miss Molly is up to. She started speech therapy at the beginning of March. She hasn't added a lot of words, but she is willing to experiment more now than ever before. The boys get into the act as well asking her to practice new words and excitedly telling me when she says something new. ("Mom! Molly is telling 'Knock Knock' jokes!") Some new additions to her communications are the signs for milk and water (improvements over pointing to the fridge and sink, respectively). It was so nice to not have her pull me into the kitchen (though I end up there anyway) to get a drink. Now she'll bring a cup, make the sign, and then run off to the kitchen to wait expectantly. She has also started to say "Up!" when she wants to sit on my lap as opposed to flinging my napkin from my lap and then staring at me with her thumb in her mouth. But, perhaps the dearest word she has started to say is "Dada". She had said "Mama" at least to repeat someone else for a while, but now she calls Eric by name. And we are all a little worried about what this will do to his ability to withstand her requests in the future...and I admit, I too am not immune to her little voice. My heart does a little flip every time I hear her go "Thank you, Mom!" shortly preceded by the phrase: "Help me, Mom".
Now the fact that Molly does not have a huge vocabulary does not mean that she isn't doing really well in all other areas of development. She loves playing with the Marble Works and will sit and watch marbles go down long after the boys have lost interest (allusion to popular Christmas story...anyone? Anyone?) She is also way past the puzzles where you fit the shape in the appropriate spot. The other day I saw her open a puzzle of Dom's and made a mental note to check on her to make sure the pieces weren't all over the floor. She called me over ("Help me, Mom!") and to my surprise she had found two pieces that did indeed go together ("Thank you, Mom!"). That particular puzzle had 60 smallish pieces, so I gave her a 12 piece floor puzzle and she was able to put it together with just a little bit of help from me. I know what you are thinking because I thought the same thing: Genius! We've contacted M.I.T., but they said she does need to have a larger vocabulary than 50 words...so maybe next year.
Molly is very helpful (in her way). I really don't try to reinforce traditional gender roles, but she loves to help empty the dishwasher, load the washer, and do general cleaning. She also enjoys watching me get ready (in my minimal way) and imitate what I do. A recent story has to do with Molly helping Dom. Dom had requested an ice cream sandwich after lunch one day. As Eric and I were still eating we told him to wait. Well, just a few minutes later, Molly runs in from the back porch (where the deep freeze is located) with the sandwich for Dom. Eric and I remained calm (though I immediately envisioned Molly climbing into the deep freeze and my imagination went to the possibility of the door falling shut...) and asked if she could show us how she had done this task. She eagerly ran ahead and we quickly saw that she was capable of lifting the lid and reaching to the top basket where the sandwiches were located....they have since been moved. (Mental note: Find a way to lock freezer)
Molly really enjoys listening to books. Most afternoons we will read several books and we have added 'Molly' books to the first part as she calms down for her nap. I love the weight of her body as she relaxes into me and her breathing slows. Her favorite book currently is a picture book of "You are my Sunshine" which I sing. Exquisitely, I might add. She always sings along in her way, but belts out the word "Happy" when the time comes. After a few books she leans her head on to my shoulder and I take her to bed where she practically throws herself down. "Night, Night, Mama!"
Looking at Molly often takes my breath away. And as much as I may complain about her screeching when she doesn't get her way or her very poor church behavior, I wouldn't want her any other way (ok, ok, of course I would prefer that she didn't run away from me in the grocery store or that she didn't scream at the top of her lungs when I attempt to put her in the cart...but, this is why I have adapted and only take her to the grocery store that is almost always empty and do my big trips alone). I have reflected quite a bit recently that these characteristics (stubborn, independent, feisty) that make her a challenge as a 2 year old (and probably for the rest of her time under our care) can also be the characteristics that will make her a very strong woman with the right guidance. I just hope and pray I have the stamina to keep up with her....and that Eric doesn't go soft on me!
1 comment:
I just heard Bill Cosby talk about his daughters. It might be in the book he wrote called "Fatherhood" or you might be able to Google it "Two Daughters." Made me think of the grandkids!
Molly's dress is perfect for her!
Post a Comment