Molly received a tea set for her second birthday in January. At the time, I talked to multiple people about how I wanted to have regular tea parties and wear all of the bridesmaid dresses I have collected over the years. Wednesday, May 15, 2013, we had our first tea party only 4 months and 10 days after I told everyone my grand plan. Success!!
Eric wanted to know what made me finally go through with my intention. There are many reasons that led to yesterday being the perfect day. But, ultimately it happened because I mentioned it to Dominic and Dom kept asking me about it. And when I say he 'kept asking', don't interpret that as 'pestering' because it really wasn't. Just every so often he would ask if we'd be doing a tea party that day. He didn't know what it entailed, he just knew it was for Molly.
Well, after Molly went down for a nap and we finished reading our book, I headed to the kitchen to make the muffins that William had been requesting for over a week. Then I remembered that I had lemonade, so I made that.
By this time, the boys were getting a little more excited about the tea party. They helped me clean up the Florida Room and locate three of the four tea cups and saucers. This actually worked out really well, because I knew that I could use a real tea cup that my good friend, Maxine, gave me several years ago. A tea cup I often look at and think: "I should just use that", but I never do. Yesterday gave me that opportunity.
Everything needed to be cleaned and the boys dried the dishes as I washed them. Thank goodness we have more than one towel, because one never wants a chore to be a source of tension...due to one 'getting' to do it and the other only able to stand idly by...
Finally, it was time to dress for the party. Dom was adequately impressed and informed me that "Dad is going to love that dress". Though it was a little tighter than the last time I wore it, I enjoyed dressing up for the event. I couldn't entice Molly to put on a tutu (it probably didn't help that the boys woke her up a little prematurely from her nap). However, we all enjoyed our cups of lemonade and muffins. Dom picked out the music (the soundtrack to 'Wreck-It-Ralph). All three kids practiced their pouring skills with varying levels of success. The conversation wasn't quite on level with a Jane Austen novel, but I take full blame for that as the hostess.
It was a lot of fun, and I am optimistic that we will repeat this lesson in gracious living sooner than the 4 months and 10 days it took to make it happen.
I did keep the dress on for Eric to see, and he insisted on taking pictures like I was on my way to prom...but, I did have a couple of handsome escorts. Sadly, the one on my right had a very blurred face.
3 comments:
Party on Girl!!!!
This looks like so much fun! Your kids will have such neat memories of things like this.
I know I'm a little late to comment but just had to say...
1. Totally impressed you still fit in your dress three kids later. I wouldn't be able to fit into the one for your wedding at all!
2. I LOVE that you used your tea cup from Maxine. Those are special memories I love being reminded of.
Post a Comment