14 July 2013

Observations in the last few weeks

First observation:  Molly taught herself her letters by using an app we downloaded over 4 years ago when we first purchased an iPod touch.  So I can get rid of some of that mom-guilt from just handing over our technological devices when I need a little quiet. #winning

Second observation:  Will has taught himself addition from an app I downloaded as soon as I got my google tablet last fall (see earlier observation about sloughing off guilt).  He really likes an app that used a virtual manipulative of placing balls in a box to figure out addition.  He will now answer a question like 4 + 5 in this manner:  1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4,5...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...it's 9!  He also has a nice understanding of the connections between numbers.  2 examples are the following:
Mom:  Will, what is 2 + 79?
Will:  I don't know
Mom: What is 2 + 9?
Will:  11, oh! so 2 +79  is 81

Will:  4 +7 = 11, I know this because 3 + 7 = 10.

Needless to say, having these conversations with my son makes my math loving heart sing.
(Full disclosure, the vast majority of time spent on our tablets is on Netflix or Subway Surf...which Molly is surprisingly good at)

Third observation:  We have started using phonics to solve just about any disagreement on activities.  For example, there are two ways to come home once we enter our neighborhood.  For months, the boys would argue which way to go whether it was turning right or continuing straight and eventually turning right.  (The second way makes our driveway a straight shot entry as opposed to a hard right...full disclosure Eric prefers the straight shot, I prefer the hard right because I think it saves time and truth be told, it was the first way I learned to drive to our new house and I am not a big fan of change...ever).  Anyhow, we tried a few different ways to keep everyone happy, mainly by taking turns.  However, it was difficult to remember which way we had gone the previous time and it seemed like each boy clearly remembered going his less favorite way on the earlier trip.  Our solution eventually became that on days that had a "T", we'd turn, and on days that had no "T" we'd go straight.  Problem solved.  No arguments, and Will is coming along quite nicely on his phonics.  He even makes little jokes like if Sunday had a "T" in it, it would be "SunTay".  Crazy hilarious!

Dom has attempted to use this in getting out of school.  He claims he should only have to do lessons on days with S's.  Jokes on him, though, as there are 5 days with S's.

I hope everyone is having a nice Sunday.  The boys are recreating the Tour de France with their cars.  They claim it will take all day and go all over the house.  So far they have been at it for a couple of hours.  I've been informed I need to have drinks and snacks ready because it takes a lot of work and they will get thirsty and hungry.  Molly is on the tablet and I'm sure she is just doing something highly educational.

UPDATE:  The apps I referred to were Preschool Adventure (which is similar to this:  Preschool Adventure Island) and Kindergarten Kids Math.  Despite having a $25 credit for apps, I still opted for the free version.   Which was good, because Molly eventually blew $7 on three songs for a completely separate app...I really need to address financial responsibility with her.  I loaded up on a lot of math themed apps, and I'd say Kindergarten Math had the most boring appearance, but Will really enjoyed it.   However, don't count out Subway Surf, he learned that 7 + 7 = 14 from some scoring technique.

1 comment:

GT said...

Readers of your blog would love to know the names of the two mentioned apps!