This is a story I'm writing just so I can remember it. We were watching 'Mulan' today which is one of my favorite Disney movies. We got to the part where it is discovered that Mulan is a girl and by law should be executed for impersonating a man in the Imperial Army. Dom asked why this was the law and I explained that at one time perhaps they had made the rule that women could not fight in order to protect the women because men are physically stronger, but over time men began to think they were better than women and made these rules to keep women in their lower place. To which Dom replied: "But they are both better, right?"
I love it. I'm sure he meant it as women are equal, but what he said was more profound, isn't it? Not only are women equal, but men are better than to believe they are above women somehow. I wish everyone had this view of the world. We're all better, right?
By the way, he went on to talk about how important it is that women can have children...which is something men can't do. It made me think of this quote:
“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.”
Mother Theresa
1 comment:
I think Dom is very wise. I'm sure he is also speaking beliefs he has been taught in the home by good parents.
Post a Comment