02 March 2014

Preparing for Baby John

 When we initially told the kids about their newest sibling, the reaction was a bit underwhelming.  But, I cannot blame them as I did not look any different and the pending due date was several months in the future.  However, now the due date is quite closer and he and I have grown to the point that there is no question of his existence.
 As such, the kids and I have started to make many preparations for his arrival.  One example is that Molly will pour over a comical book of dos and don'ts on how to handle a baby.  Katie gave me this book as a joke gift while I was pregnant with William.  I remember sitting on her stairs in tears because I was laughing so hard.  However, both Will and Molly take its advice relatively seriously. 
I also took the kids to a sibling class at the base hospital.  They watched a silly video about newborns which they have acted out a few times.  (What does a baby do when he is hungry? Shows baby crying, What does a baby do when he is tired? Shows baby crying, What does a baby do when he needs a diaper changed? Shows baby crying...)  The video also discussed how an older sibling might feel left out because Mom and Dad are so busy with the baby...somehow, I don't think my kids are all that concerned.  If anything, I may feel left out of their club.

In the class, the nurse showed the kids how to diaper and swaddle a baby using stuffed animals.  The looks of contentment on my kids' faces as they quietly rocked their swaddled animals was pretty precious.  The nurse also pointed out that on newborn diapers there is a line that will change color when the baby wets it.  Will asked the quite pertinent question of what color it would become when the baby pooped.

Speaking of Will and diapers, we normally don't watch a lot of regular TV with commercials, but two straight weeks of P&G commercials have been quite effective marketing.  Will has on multiple occasions declared that we need to buy Pampers for John because they will keep a baby 3X drier than any other diaper.  He further explained this meant John could wet the diaper 3 times before he'd get uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if that is really what it means, but frankly, it makes sense, doesn't it?  Much to Will's delight, we bought John's first package of Newborn Swaddlers yesterday.  He is sure that John will sleep as peacefully as the baby in the commercial.  Right.

The kids are also preparing to meet their brother in other ways.  Mainly, playing with him.  Sometimes this is quite literally.  The smile on Will's face the first time he felt John move was luminous.  I wish I had recorded it.  Now, Will and Dom will sit on either side of me and play 'Hide and Seek' with John.  They feel for his body and he will often move to avoid the prodding of little hands.  I do not have this same luxury.  Molly even includes 'Baby John' in her play.  Telling him to chase her or warning him to watch out for monsters (Will and/or Dom, but mainly Will).  As much as I enjoy hearing them include their unborn sibling in their play, I love the special hugs they give him and the way they include him in our nightly prayers. 

So, yeah, we are all pretty excited about meeting this little guy in a few weeks.  Now, I just need to wash all of his clothes and blankets, make up his crib, stock up on diapers and wipes, pack a hospital bag, have a list of phone numbers handy, and give birth.  Piece of cake.  Especially with this team in my corner:



5 comments:

Liz said...

I laughed out loud while I read this. Will is quite the thinker. You are doing great! What a lovely documentation of the year.

Unknown said...

As the fourth child, I'd like to think you, Katie, and Fritz acted the same way when Mom was pregnant with me.

Can't wait to meet John!

Ann Strunk said...

Absolutely fabulous...and precious...and wonderful. I am extremely excited for his arrival. He's pretty lucky to have such great siblings to look up to as he grows up.

Nana said...

And was Will's question properly answered?
This blog was a great way to start off the day.

Liz said...

I love Will's detailed recommendation. Kids absorb commercials like sponges!