05 May 2014

Summing up the Last Week

 John has had a pretty big week.  Starting with Monday.  We had his 2 week appointment and not only did John get back to his birth weight (the goal at the 2-week appointment), he surpassed it by quite a bit.  He was 10 pounds!! and had gained 2 inches on length.  So, he is doing great.  The doctor looked at John and told him that he should now focus on sleeping more at night so that his mom (that would be me) could get some rest.  John looked at him, contemplated his suggestion, and burped.  That's what he thought of that.  Though, he has started to go a little longer between feedings. 

After this, we went to the beach with my good friend, Ann, who flew in to give me a helping hand with the crew. The kids love her which makes it very easy to have her around.  They don't mind in the least when I take off to run a couple of errands by myself.  In fact, they nearly push me out the door.  She is much more fun person than I am.  I am fine with that.

John seems to totally get the point of a beach vacation.  You are suppose to relax! We actually didn't get to spend time in the actual gulf as there were double reds at the beach we went to.  But, the inlet on base provided a perfect substitute.  In some ways, better, as there are no huge waves and it is pretty shallow.  Ann and I could just sit in our beach chairs and monitor the kids without fear that a wave would wash them out to sea.  The only glitch was that we neglected to bring the beach bag with my art in it (Mystery Mosaics), but I had a good time just watching John sleep and the other wrestle in the water.
The kids have not bored of John.  Will just told me yesterday that he "sure was glad we had a baby".  I am, too!  Dom is getting more and more confident about holding John.  And I am growing more and more confident of  Dom's ability to carry John.  Baby steps.  Dom particularly likes to introduce John to the kids room.  He will carry him in and lay him on either Molly's or Will's bed so he can get a feeling for the surroundings.  I follow him, but I know the kids wish in a small way I'd stay out of their bonding time.

John currently sleeps in our bedroom, but Dom wants him to be comfortable when he makes the transition.  Granted, I'm not entirely sure if this will ever happen as their room is sort of maxed out, but we'll see. 
 John spends the majority of his time in the bouncy seat or in my arms.  But, on occasion I will lay him down on a bed as I perform some other task.  The kids love this opportunity to be close to him.  As evidence from the next picture.  Molly immediately crawled up and snuggled between Penny and John.  And she was thrilled.

Meanwhile, the NBA playoffs are going on.  Maybe you've heard of them?  I have never paid attention to this event this early.  In fact, I'd never cared at all until about three years ago.  But, my sports loving son is super excited about them.  He has colored all of the playoff teams' logos and made a bracket on the wall of the Florida Room.  After a team gets knocked out (which in the case of 5 of them took a really long time), he would ceremoniously take down the logo and place it in his new binder.  Purchased recently for just this purpose.
And finally after yesterday we are down to the 8 teams playing in the second round:

I've been working on this post since before 8 this morning with several breaks so I'll just leave you with these two pictures.  John took a nap in the car as we ate Sonic for lunch before heading to the beach.  A lot of happy campers!


2 comments:

Ann Strunk said...

I had a fabulous time as always. I'm grateful you didn't point out John does not, at this stage in his life, appreciate being left as home alone with me. :)

YAY! I'm happy for Dom that the Thunder made it to the second round. I'm sure he was thrilled to get to redo their logo. Let him know I was actually paying attention to the playoffs because of him. Normally I wouldn't care as the NBA is my least favorite basketball to watch.

Ann Strunk said...

Oh, AND I miss you all terribly!