03 February 2015

Birthday Month


Can I just say that it is amazing how much more energy I have with a full night's sleep?  It had been so long, that I believed my lack of energy was just normal.  Apparently not.  As that is the case, here is a new post!


Eric is an electrical engineer by profession, but he has the heart of a philosophy/history professor.  As such, he is constantly looking for historic sites for us to visit.  Most recently, he has been on a Civil War kick.  A friend sent him a book on Civil War sites in Florida, and there happened to be one in Pensacola.  On MLK Jr. Day, we loaded up the kids and headed to Fort Pickens.  Bonus, as it was a federal holiday, we got in for free.  The kids weren't thrilled to be taken away from their normal activities of playing with the neighbors all day, but once they saw all of the walls they could climb, maps to follow, and tunnels to explore, they got over it.  Plus, lunch at Sonic helped quite a bit.

It was a lovely day, and we hope to return.  With plenty of snacks and  maybe with bikes.  Plus, Will saw something in the museum he really wants to show me.  I cannot wait!

Other than that mega road trip (about 70 miles away), we've been just hanging out at the house.  It is amazing how quickly the day goes by when there are 4 kids around.  I have realized that it is all I'm able to do just to keep up on laundry, meals, keeping the house a little tidy, and homeschool activities.  Nevermind actually getting other projects completed.  Those are for the weekend...and even then, they don't get done.  But, John is a grand little helper.


Though speaking of other activities, Dom is playing basketball for the next few weeks.  He is awesome (though I might be a little biased).  He plays quite a bit in our driveway, and I think it definitely shows in his games.  He has made a couple of amazing shots that you hear a collective 'Wow' from the rest of the parents.   Plus, he is pretty good at rebounding and stealing...and fouling.  We'll keep working on that.  He has a nice coach, but I'm pretty sure he is ultimately learning most of his skills from Bill Self via video conferencing.  Which is to say, watching as much KU basketball as we will allow.


Our Saturdays lately have followed the same pattern.  The morning is spent relaxing, or catching up on science, history, or religion.  We go to watch Dom play his game, and then return with Chick-Fil-A and watch KU play their game.  The rest of the afternoon is spent reading or playing outside.

I think I've written this before, but Will and Dom have both read 'The Action Bible' from cover to cover.  One evening, I had just won at cribbage and Eric and I were just talking over some things (strategy, good sportsmanship,..the usual) when we hear the kids' door open.  It was pretty late, so we thought perhaps something was wrong.  It was just Will coming out to return the Bible to the bookshelf.  But, when he saw us still up, he excitedly came and showed us all he had read.  Apparently, that Bible is quite the page turner!


And speaking of reading, Molly and I have embarked on a simple kindergarten curriculum with a book: Read and Learn with the Classics.  There are several fairy tales and nursery rhymes with activities.  She loves it and I enjoy getting to spend time with her that doesn't involve maternal correction.  I think our relationship is much better because of it.  And since she is only just 4, we don't do it every day...just when the time is right.  Which is generally when John is down for a morning nap.  Molly is a very clever girl, and I love to hear her observations.  I need to keep a notebook of things she says.  I use to have a much better memory...I wonder what happened to it?
See?  Look how happy we are together:
I have enjoyed this book so much (which I found at a used book store), that I have tried to find the others in the series.  Apparently, the series was discontinued with this name, but there is another that includes a CD.  I guess I'll probably go ahead and get that...but, if any of my faithful readers happen to see the 1st or 2nd grade levels...let me know!
Being in Florida, it is easy to forget that the rest of the country is experiencing cold and snow...but, we do empathize.  It gets pretty cold in our Florida Room.  But, the kids adapt pretty well.  Dom would like me to add that they placed the chair in these positions in order to have makeshift beds.  (I don't get it, either)

Some stories that do not have pictures.  I am training for a half-marathon with Katie.  The kids are all very supportive of this.  Particularly when they get to see how many steps I've walked due to the fitbit.  The other day, Molly discovered my iPod shuffle and put the earbuds in her ears.  She came and found me and excitedly told me that she looked like a mom.  I really enjoyed seeing her eyes light up when I actually turned on the music and she ran off doing a little jig.

And the other story is about Dominic.  The other night as we sat watching the second half of the Super Bowl.  I asked Dom to go get me a second soda.  I have cut way back on my soda consumption, and hold myself to one if I do consume...but, this was a special event.  My firstborn refused my request.  He informed me that soda was not healthy, and if I wanted one, I should get it myself.....words I have used often with him.  I absolutely knew he was right.  I also knew that I would probably not even finish the soda if I got one.  But, I did ask him a few more times.  Each time he refused with the same irrefutable logic.  Finally, I thanked him for not being an enabler and said I would have a cup of water.  His response:  Can you get me one, too?

Man, I love these kids.

No comments: