Happy Birthday, William! 9 years old today and going strong. In many ways the last year has been one of the most eventful of your young life.
You participated in choir again this year, and we added piano to your music curriculum. It has been a treat to hear you practice and improve week to week. I hope you will always enjoy it as much as you have over the last few months. Because it is a lot easier to get you to practice when you want to...I know this from experience.
You have continued to be an excellent student. Growing more self motivated every year. I still love to watch you take an interest in some new concept and study it until you master it, or discover something else to research.
The biggest event in the last calendar year was our trip to London, where you were a great traveler. You figured out the subway system when I didn't even want to try, we spent all day out being tourists and you enjoyed all of it, and you helped make the trip much more enjoyable for everyone as we knew we could count on you and Dom to just go with the flow.
Shortly before we went to London, you and Dom read The Hobbit, so it was pretty neat for us to see you reading in the same pub where Tolkein and Lewis would meet regularly to discuss their on-going works.
We arrived back stateside just in time to get ready for Halloween. Something you commented many times that you were ready for as we walked through graveyards in England co-located with churches that were 100s of years old. Naturally, you went as your favorite Brit. #NailedIt
You have worked on several Lego projects which has been tricky with a 2-year-old brother insisting on helping (but you now have empathy for why I don't necessarily like to let him help me cook...even if he is 'adorable').
Speaking of cooking...you helped quite a lot with the Christmas baking this year when some illness invaded the house and I was otherwise occupied. Hm...as did John...
You have continued to take an interest in architecture. Whether it is lego building, block buildings...or storage containers recently removed from the Dishwasher.
In February, you realized a dream and had a battle (albeit very brief) with Darth Vader immediately after receiving some light saber training. Dad and I were so proud of you as you handled the light saber like a pro.
Disney World, though billed as the Happiest Place on Earth, can quickly become not so happy between long lines, crowds everywhere, high prices, and miles of walking. But, again, your willingness to just go with the flow really helped make it a much more enjoyable trip than I was worried it would be. And I think you had a pretty good time, too!
As I said, this was an eventful year...England...Disney World...Hogwarts...all of those pale to the introduction of Wendy's fries dipped in a chocolate Frosty. Life changing. You're Welcome!
Reading continues to be your go-to activity...whether or not Dom happens to be reading the exact same book.
You played baseball and made it to 2nd base for the first time. You also got hits in consecutive games for the first time. It was frustrating for you to not make it home, but you really had great improvement on the offensive side of baseball, and your defense was stronger this year as well. We were proud of your hard work all season as you tried to improve each week!
You also played a lot of driveway basketball. As well as kept stat sheets for Dom. It is a toss-up which you preferred...I think maybe the stats. But, that might just be wishful thinking on my part.
Earlier this summer, you gave me a memory that I will have for a long time. You spent over an hour digging a hole at the beach. I think my favorite aspect was watching your determination, and then seeing other people start digging their own holes because you were so enthusiastic about it.
You do many things that make me proudly say:"That's my son", but seeing you and Dom as Altar Servers tops the list. I am finally able to watch you process in without tears, but it took me the better part of the year...and some distractions from your siblings.
Some more highlights from the last few months. Wizard's Chess! (I lost)
Running on the beach!
Visiting Mammoth Springs!
Discovering The Dark is Rising Series. Which happens to have a main character named Will!
Weeding at Nana's and L'Opa's (it's character building)
Kayaking for the first time. You were a pro within minutes. You told me you wanted to go all of the way across the lake...and you did...and came back to tell the story. With a souvenir.
We love you, Will! And we Thank God that you are in our lives. Your personality always comes through and I continue to love to tell Will stories. Though, now you have improved in your writing to a point that you could write them down yourself. I love reading your letters and comics and stories. I love listening to you play your favorite songs on the piano and sing to yourself as you go about your day. I love watching you play with John and Molly in the house (as that is more imagination driven) and Dom out of the house (as that is more sports related). And I love that you still hug me with all of your might. Will hugs are still the best hugs.
The next year will see a lot of changes for our family, but I take a lot of solace knowing we'll be going through all of them together. Thank you for being such a wonderful son and brother...and just all around kid. You make every day a little more interesting, thought provoking...and often magical.
Now, let's go write down the rules for Quidditch so we get it right next time! Happy Birthday!!























3 comments:
Good Morning Will, And a very Happy Birthday to you!! It was heart-warming to see the picture of you pulling up green things in the driveway. That is on my "to do" list today. Wish that you were hear and we could talk about Dark is Rising --- my all time favorite series.
Have a find year being nine. Lots of exciting times ahead.
Li'l Opa and I love you,
Nana
Happiest of Happy Birthdays, Will! As one of my wedding party, you will always have a special place in my heart. We hope you have a fantastic day and the next year is even better than the last!
OH MY GOODNESS! I really should check for errors before I hit the send button. Sorry about the two nasty mistakes.
Will, did you catch them?
Post a Comment