23 July 2012

Eric, are you sure this is a good idea? (Part 1)

I was going to make a really elaborate blog post (or posts) about how I remodeled both bathrooms, but I after seeing the job other people do on their home remodel blogs, I figured I stood no chance for a favorable comparison, and will opt instead to just smother you with pictures and pithy one-liners.

Why did we do this now, you ask?  Because the ceiling below the bathroom fell in -- water leaked out over the side of the tub, got into the space between the walls, and rotted out the subfloor.  This has probably been  going on for years.
From Bathroom tile project


From Bathroom tile project

Then, imagine lots of demolition, kind of like this.  Oh, and Liesel and the kids had just driven back to Kansas, so I got to work on this late into the night.  Anyway, the bathroom looked like this.

From Bathroom tile project
And the rotten subfloor (just below the orange bucket) was worse that I thought.

From Bathroom tile project
So, with the help a buddy (gotta have a buddy!) we tore up the floor...


From Bathroom tile project
... put in a new floor...


From Bathroom tile project
... and re fixed the tub in place with more construction adhesive than you can shake a stick at.
Next time:  prepping for tile!

(no pictures of kids this time.  That's Liesel's job.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Quite the project! Looking forward to seeing the final product! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks really nice! You're making me look bad with the state of my bathroom though! - Megan

Liz said...

I didn't realize that the hole went all the way through.