27 July 2012

Eric, are you sure this is a good idea? (Part 3)

Okay, getting to the big finish!  I'm on my own working now (my pal Jason has his own kids, house, and dissertation to worry about), so I'm tiling up the walls around the bathroom.

From Bathroom tile project
Look at those nice straight lines!  As a tip to anyone doing this in the future - DO scrape off the thin-set (or mastic) from these tiles AS YOU LAY THEM.  Use a sponge or something to clean them straightaway; don't wait for a few days.  Otherwise you'll be back in there with your wife at like 11:30 PM scrubbing the walls clean.  Its kind of a romantic date, actually.

From Bathroom tile project
Once you get going though, it goes pretty quick.  I had the tile saw outside, and just made enough cuts to go up 5 rows at a time.  The last two walls were pretty straightforward, even if I was cutting out holes for the pipe stem pieces.  Also, I cut my own bullnose trim pieces on the top of the shower there.  One full tile costs $1.79, and I can cut two 3" trim pieces out of it.  By contrast, a 3" x 12" piece of bullnose (a specialty item) costs $2.88.  Forget. That.

Fast forward through the cleaning, grouting, caulking sealing, and various other tasks to...
From Bathroom tile project

Ta-da!  Good for kids, too!

From Bathroom tile project

So that's done.  I'm not sure if we came in under budget; I think we were pretty close, and I got a lot of experience, and a few new tools out of the deal.  Total working time: < 2 weeks.  In fact, I felt so good about this project, that I decided to make a sequel.

From Bathroom tile project
50-year old linoleum-tile floor, anyone?

Stay tuned!

(SPOILER ALERT)

From Bathroom tile project

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks great! Nice job, Eric :)! Good luck w/ the next project.

Robert said...

How do you make bullnose out of regular tile?? The official bullnose actually "noses" over the edge, so there's a nice finished curve. Is yours just a 1/3 size tile or what??

Eric said...

Yes, just 1/3 tile. I only used above the shower , though, where you can't really tell.

Ann Strunk said...

Fantastic job! All that tile certainly helps resale value. Quite impressive, Mr. Buschelman!

Anonymous said...

can you hear the little woman in the background singing IF YOU WERE A CARPENTER?

Robert said...

So you used real bullnose for the part over the toilet area? NICE!! Now I know what we're doing next time you come to KC!

Katie said...

Looks awesome and thank you oh so much for giving Robert ideas! (Note: sarcasm begins after "awesome")

Nice job!