Last week we left the warm weather of Florida to experience the warmth of being around wonderful friends in Ohio (where the temps were in the 30s or lower...) When we bought our house in Ohio a few years ago, we were looking for a good deal and the fact that we moved in next to the McAuleys is proof enough that we got a better deal then we could have ever hoped for. They were kind enough to let us stay under their roof and monopolize the TV during the opening weekend of NCAA tournament play. The kids loved seeing them, playing with their excellent toy collection, doing puzzles, making pizza, and coloring picture after picture after picture.
Dom is not in the above picture because it was right before we were leaving and I suspect he was trying to control his emotions a little by refusing to be in the picture. These two adults are the first that Dom has really been comfortable around other than Eric and me. I know this by the way he will talk to them. When we lived next door, I would look out the window and see him talking Miss Diana's ear off. I also saw him snuggle into Miss Diana's side on this trip. Now, I know for a fact that I am the only one he normally will do that to.
The main purpose for this trip was for Eric to participate in his graduation ceremonies. We have heard that most PhD grads do not come back, but Eric's group of friends decided that they would all make the trip for a reunion. As I sat in the warmth of the McAuley's watching basketball Thursday afternoon, I felt a little reluctant to go out in the cold to his graduation, but once I saw the first familiar face I was so glad that I did. We were quickly surrounded by friends and hugs. The ceremony was nice, and I got surprised by how emotional I became. I had to have a friend take Eric's picture as he was hooded and congratulated because my hands were shaking so much. Ok, so those that know me know that my hands are basically shaking all of the time, but this was particularly bad...
The rest of the trip was taken up with visiting with other military friends who are getting ready to move and church friends. It was one of those trips where I was always perfectly happy wherever I was and didn't really want to go to the next scheduled event...until I got there, and then I didn't want to leave that. I know not all trips will be like that, but we had a wonderful time. The one hiccup was that Will had his heart set on on seeing snow and Mother Nature didn't get that memo. Though it did snow after we left. As Maxwell Smart would say: "We missed it by that much!"
We are continuously humbled and grateful for all of the friends we have up in Ohio and if you are reading this, please know that our home is always open to you. Just give us about 24 hours notification!
And here are the various pictures of the kids with Eric in his regalia:
There were about a million pictures taken, and I liked these the best (over all the weird expressions or blurred faces due to rapid movement). I didn't want to leave any of them out. For the record, the pictures of me in a sweatshirt are due to the fact that the night of the ceremony, Molly was napping, so we recreated the moment with the new hood the next day. I did not put my nicer clothes on for the occasion. On another note, along with being the best neighbors ever, Cliff is an amazing woodworker. He offered to frame Eric's diploma for him and it is beautiful. We'll get a picture to share soon.
The boys are singing in this picture: My Daddy is a Doctor. My Daddy is a Doctor.....
2 comments:
Congratulations to Eric and being hooded! What a great occasion! And, it looks like Dominic is planning on going thru the ceremony, himself, in the future!
Liesel this was such a good story to read. It reminded me of all my air force dependent days, moving around and all the good friends and good times that will stay in your heart!
Post a Comment