02 June 2015

May in Review

We had one heck of a May.  These pictures are slightly out of order, but you will get the idea.  And I will help you with my colorful commentary.  As always.

 Midway through May (about a week after the first Aunt infestation), we celebrated Dominic's First Communion.  When my sister, Katie, and I were discussing their visit for the occasion, it did not take us long to determine that all 12 of us could not fit under our roof comfortably.  But, it just happens we live mere minutes away from a beach vacation destination.  It also just so happened that Dom's First Communion conveniently fell on a weekend before the peak season price increases.  As such, we were able to rent a beach house that was within walking distance to the beach and had enough room to accommodate both families and Eric's dad.  Who, I am sure, loved sleeping down with all of the kids :). 
  We spent the bulk of the weekend just hanging out in either the beach house, on the beach, or at the pool.  It was a super laid back weekend.  And, I have 1 picture to show you.  We were all up before 7 most days, but it isn't so bad when you know you have nothing to do other than eat breakfast and lounge.
 Also in May, Eric gave me a beach cruiser for my Mother's Day gift. 

 Ok, so as I was looking for the picture of the beach cruiser, I came across this picture of the flowers and Jane Austen Mug (!!!!) that my parents and parents-in-law gave me.  I love them all. And use them regularly.  Well, the flowers didn't make it...but, I loved looking at them every morning while they were around.
 But, I digress...as I now have a beach cruiser that I love to ride, we are taking many more family bike rides.  Conveniently in time to train for the Tour de France. 

 The kids also participated in a 1 mile fun run on base.  They did outstanding.
 Molly had been wearing something else, but as soon as she found out there was a run, she quickly changed into her "running clothes".  She refuses to wear this outfit at any other time. 
Molly also completed her ballet lessons.  They had a very low key recital where they displayed their knowledge for the parents.  Though, one might suspect she was simply imitating the teacher, later that day she confirmed she knew the poses by doing them for Eric.  And she was super excited about the pink flowers I bought her.

 I am pretty sure the above picture was taken by Molly.  Our beach house consisted of a bottom floor that was dominated by a bunk room (perfect for 7 cousins particularly as it included a tv hooked up to an x-box), queen room, and foosball table.  The main floor consisted of the kitchen, dining, and living room.  There was also a king room and a great balcony where the adults spent the majority of their time.  Then the third floor was a massive king suite.  We put John in the walk-in closet and that worked wonderfully. 

 Morning of Dom's First Communion. 

 Some more pictures of the fun run.  That is Dom and Will in the white shirts.
 We left the house a little late, didn't exactly know where the race was, had a parental miscommunication, and therefore missed Molly's leg of the race (1/2 mile), but she wanted to run anyway.  So we tagged along in the back and she did a great job.  We turned around at the 1/4 mile mark after a nice conversation with the water table guys who convinced Molly it was the right thing to do (she really wanted to keep going).
 Molly finished strong and it wasn't long before we saw Dom race to the end.  He completed the 1 mile in 8 minutes 50 seconds.  Will finished at about 10 minutes 50 seconds.  Both admitted they walked and got water...which actually makes their times a little more impressive in my mind.  Technically, the 1 mile race was for 7 and 8 year-olds, so good on Will for running up.  The 1/2 mile was for 5 and 6 year-olds.  So Molly ran up as well.



After their sprints, we made them ride a few miles around base.  Dom was pretty slow towards the end, but he always had a good attitude.  Never complained, just took breaks when he needed them.

For my part, during these bike rides, I get the song "5 Little Ducks" in my head and belt it the whole way.  The fact I sing it continuously means it is also in my kids' heads.  Now, for the last several mornings, during Molly, John, Mom snuggle time, Molly requests I sing "12 Little Ducks" with an encore of "5 Little Ducks".  But, I can never seem to remember what sound a duck makes, so Molly assists.  #memories

No comments: