29 June 2015

What John Can Do

John is adorable.  That is basically what we all think.  Constantly.  He has such a cute face and his hair has a little curl in the back.  He is a happy guy for the most part.  He's entered a bit of a clingy stage, but is pretty easily distracted and content until he spies me again.

Anyway, just a little bit of what our 14.5 month old can do:

Signs he does on request or spontaneously:
  1. Hi/Bye
  2. More
  3.  Please
  4.  Water (new this week!)
  5.   Milk
  6.  Love You!  (He will bring his hand to his mouth and smack it if he hears the words: Love you!)

Lately, I've heard him make a couple of sounds that could be interpreted as "Thank You!", at least it is a pretty good mimic of the cadence and tone that I say it to him.  He also softly says:  Da Da and screams: Ma Ma!  (Generally clinging to my skirts and crying)

He is very good with a ball.  I take these with me whenever we have time to wait.  He will just walk around tossing it and picking it up.  Sometimes he will give it to other people, but he gets pretty confused when another kid just picks it up and walks off with it.  This is not how we play with balls.  You throw them or retrieve them...you do not walk off with them.  He makes quite a few friends this way and also stays out of trouble.  We spend a lot of time in the library, and the librarians prefer this activity to his previous favorite of pulling all of the books off the shelves.  (Though, I always replaced them correctly)
This particular ball is one that Dom picked out for him the Easter after he was born.  From The Dollar Tree (I love that store!)

Lately, he has been showing some interest in learning to swim.  He will lay on his stomach and float.  He puts his face in the water constantly without it bothering him.  If the baby swim classes weren't so expensive ($100/week), I would sign him up.  But, we'll just keep going to Kahunas and seeing what new talents he will discover.

His food preferences are meat, cheese, eggs,  grapes, goldfish, pringles, green beans (yes, Mitiz, it is true.  He loves them), pineapple, and yogurt bites.  I also made the grave mistake of introducing him to chocolate.   Which, he knows on sight.

Finally, he loves to dance.  He will press a button on one of his toys and just dances along to the music.  If Eric has something playing during breakfast, John is generally bopping to the beat in his chair.  Always with a little smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.  We are very glad he joined our little party.

3 comments:

Ann Strunk said...

Aww! Love the update. I wish I lived closer. I would give him swimming lessons for free. Today I start teaching Parent/Tot swimming classes at the local pool. You guys would love it. I think they are $30 for two weeks. Keep dancing, John!

Nana said...

I taught babies (actually the parents) too. Unfortunately the garden has dried, so no swimming pool here for free.

Don't get to smug about the green beans --- Mitzi loved them at John's age, too!

Liz said...

What a cutie.