11 June 2015

Summer 'Break'

 So, I guess, technically, we are on summer break.  But, I still have the kids work on some basic skills.  It passes the time at any rate.  For the last week or so, I've written out 'to-do' lists for Dominic and Will and that has worked really well.  I think they both like having all of their tasks in front of them and they both like crossing things off.  Dom puts a check mark and Will scribbles each task out completely.  I have a sort of reward system set up...but, it isn't completely fleshed out.  Right now, Dom just gets to print off extra sports team logos to color and add to his collection.  As he puts it, this is sort of win/win because he won't be pestering me about it the next time a tournament occurs.  Sure.  And Will doesn't know about any benefit to completing his tasks other than a happy mom, which really should be benefit enough.
 A couple of weeks ago, we returned from church and decided to spend the morning at home and go to the beach later in the day when the tide would be low.  But, that didn't make the day any less hot so I provided some water activities.  I meant for the large tub of water to be available for water guns, but it took Molly approximately 3 seconds to commandeer it for her own use.
 Which Will and Dom quickly agreed was a good idea.  Especially after a bike ride.  I really wanted to add ice to the water...maybe next time.
 Luckily, John was content to splash in the water table.
 After watching the boys ride their bikes and attempting to keep up by pedaling as fast as her legs could on the tricycle, we decided to try Molly out on the bike with training wheels.  This lasted until she fell over right into a trellis.  There was bleeding and crying, but hopefully no lasting psychological damage.  I'll keep you posted.
 After Molly's accident, we all decided it was too hot to stay outside and that John and Molly needed a nap.  At this point, I was introduced to the game of Risk.  I loved it.  I'd always thought it was a very complicated game, but it is actually quite simple.  The boys were really excited to have me join the game and Eric enjoyed my competitive enthusiasm.  I think.  At least he said he did.  The highlight for me was when Will went on a path of destruction late in the game while singing The Imperial March.  I was the last hold-out, but he eventually overcame my armies through sheer strength.  Let's put it this way, 22 armies will probably beat 2 armies 10 time out of 10. 
 Finally, Eric and I celebrated our 10th anniversary.  In typical fashion.  A couple of days before, we both skirted around the issue of gifts and cards and with relief elected to not give each other anything. (But in reality, for the next several months we'll buy random things and just attribute them to our 10th anniversary)  And then on the day, we had shrimp to commemorate the fact that we did not get any at our reception.  We only realized shrimp had been there when we saw the photographs weeks later.
So far it has been a great start to the summer.  I should also add that the day after our anniversary, Katie and I flew to visit Mitzi in Milwaukee.  It was a great vacation.  I hope that we can continue this in the years to come. (and those few sentences do not do the weekend justice, I'll hopefully give it its own post)  And Eric really did enjoy spending time with the kids.  It helped that in my time away Eric taught John to say "Hi!" and "Dad!".  Yesterday Eric had four voices say "Hi Dad!" as he walked through the door.  Priceless.

2 comments:

Nana said...

I had to laugh at the tub of water. When I was little, your Grandpa Mac would fill up a couple of big round metal tubs (maybe a little bigger than the one that you used) and that was our "swimming pool."

Liz said...

You could always say you bought another house for your 10th anniversary, too. :)