Our unit consisted of doing a workbook page a day (or three) and reading a short biography of the president. These standard lessons were supplemented with many hearings of this song:
As well as a viewing of this American Classic that is set during the close election of (spoiler alert) Benjamin Harrison over Grover Cleveland: The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band:
Dom and I learned a great deal from this very simple unit. We didn't go into scandals or the negative side of politics. Ok, so I did tell the boys about Clinton's impeachment and they now yell the word "LIAR!" when they hear his name. However, Eric and I have discussed that most politicians are known to lie on occasion. The big exception being George Washington.
If you've been following this blog, you know that Dom's favorite trivia is how the Presidents' names related to present and past KU basketball players.
Some of the trivia that I found interesting is the following:
Between the years 1837 and 1869 we had 10 presidents. To put that in recent perspective, since 1981 we have had 5. In fact, the majority of presidents have served 4 years or less: 24 to 20. Another interesting fact is that George H.W. Bush was the first sitting Vice President to be elected President. The only other Vice President to become President other than in the case of the death of a president was Richard Nixon...8 years after he had served as vice president. Are you fascinated?
Now, those that may be rolling their eyes, be aware that my new found knowledge of presidential trivia is already paying dividends. Last week at the commissary they were offering $25 gift cards for correct trivia answers. I correctly named the only 20th century president to get married while in the White House. Anyone? Anyone? Drum roll please.....Woodrow Wilson!
Ca-Ching!
3 comments:
It's nice to know that homeschooling your children is making you smarter. And also richer ;0)
*First deleted for spelling mistake. Yes, I went to college and still have problems. It is not a reflection of my education, it simply shows I'm human. ;)
Do you mean that Will doesn't sing, "We took a little BACON and a little beans!"
Post a Comment