I have stories regularly about Dominic and Molly, though really William probably gives me the most material. His brain works on a different level than ours. Not so much lower or higher, but skewed. And he has an incredible capacity to stick to one topic of conversation. In particular, Mario Galaxy.
But that is not what this post is about. It is about how girls are drawn to William. Of all ages. He is not shy and will talk to anyone. Which is a relief at times because Dom is quite the opposite and what I see as his being shy, can also come across as pretty rude.
Well, next door is a 5-year-old girl, Alexa. One day as we were hanging out in our backyard, Will started to talk to her through the security fence. Their conversation mainly consisted of some variation on the theme: "I can see you!" . Though, at some point they must have talked about something a little more meaningful as Will informed me that he had asked Alexa over for a play date. They proceeded to spend the next few hours in our front yard playing all sorts of games of make believe.
Since that afternoon, they have spent several afternoons in our front yard. Dom will play with them, sometimes, but will get tired of being told what and how to play. I told him girls can be a little bossy sometimes, just like his mom. He seemed to completely understand that. Will, on the otherhand, loves spending time with Alexa. Last night as we tried to corral our children into the car to get pizza (something we should NOT have to coerce our kids to do), Will would not stop talking to her. He kept coming up with new topics to share. Finally he told her that he needed to go, but he would be back soon. As we drove away he looked at me and said:
"I like talking to Alexa. She is my girlfriend."
But, I'm not too concerned that she is replacing me as the most important girl in his life. Just the other night he looked into my eyes and told me I was the best mom ever. I'm sure that had nothing to do with the serving of green beans that had long gone cold on his plate.
1 comment:
OH, Baby. Look out teenage years.
Post a Comment