03 March 2012
Dining Out
I really don't like eating out. It is one of those things that always seems like a good idea before we go and then I tend to regret it during and after. I don't like waiting for a table. I don't like paying for food that I could make at home (at a much cheaper price. I'm looking at you Cheesecake Factory). I don't like sitting for an entire meal hoping that a server will come by and refill my water glass. I don't like taking a sip of water and then having a server immediately refill the millileter that I consumed. And I really don't like taking my children out and feeling like I need to rush through a meal (I'm already overpaying for) in order to vacate the premises before they grow bored and want to start running around. Really, the only upside to eating out for me is that there are no dishes to clean once the meal is over. And there are nights about 3 times a month where that overwhelming wish to not face a dirty kitchen trumps all of my feelings against eating out. It is about these rare occasions that I wish to write.
Now that Eric and I have been eating out with kids for 5 and half years, we have learned a few survival tips. First, it is important to know which restaurants are well suited to our childrens' eating habits. I am seldom more proud of an accomplishment than when I am able to order a meal for the kids where the majority of the contents do not end up in a garbage disposal. The restaurants where we have the most success are : The Waffle House, Five Guys, and just about any pizza making establishment. Our personal favorite of late is Spinozas. Breakfast foods, french fries, and pizza are generally always well received.
Second, especially if we are going to a nicer restaurant, it is good to go earlier, like around 5. By 6, the boys are already getting tired and therefore their behavior starts to plummet. At 5, they are still their easy going selves and will be content to sit at the table a little longer especially if we are engaging them in conversation. Plus, if they get a little rambunctious, there are fewer patrons that may be disturbed and you can generally sit in a farely secluded location while trying to teach your young ones appropriate restaurant manners.
Finally, we are gradually getting better about ordering for the children. At first, we would ask them what they wanted. This was ridiculous. I am sure there are children that know what they want and will then eat it. My children are not those children. Countless meals were ordered and then went back to the kitchen virtually untouched. I will on occasion still attempt to do this like that crazy person who continues to do the thing even knowing the unpleasant outcome. Why? Because I'm crazy. We then started to just feed our kids off of our plates. This worked pretty well. When we patronize a Mexican restaurant, we feed them first at home, so that they get something a little nutritious before attempting to find the bottom to the bottomless chip bowl that is placed directly in front of them at the table. (Let me throw in this fond memory here. Eric and I had decided to go to a Mexican restaurant we enjoy about a year ago. And by "we decided" I mean Eric had come home and I met him in the driveway to tell him that he was taking me out to eat. On the way to the restaurant all three kids fell fast asleep in the car. We were able to park the car along the outdoor eating section and we had a little date as our children slumbered near by. Winning!) We've finally gotten to the point where we can order a single children's meal that will feed two of the kids. I still remember the first successful attempt at this. I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich from Penn Station. Dom ate the half with ham and Will ate the half with cheese. They split the fries and Dom ate tomatoes on the side. Everyone left happy and full. Recently, Molly has started to split meals with William as Dom is getting to the point where he can sometimes eat nearly an entire kid's meal on his own.
So, as you can see, it is quite the algorithm to go out to eat as a family. We are constantly learning what works and making the necessary adjustments. It can be a headache, but as a math person, I sort of enjoy having a problem to solve (as long as it is around 5 pm and not around 6 pm). It makes me feel like my brain isn't just turning into mush. So I guess that is a second reason to go out. 1. No dishes to clean 2. A good brain exercise to ward off early dementia...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I can test you for early dementia next time we're together...
Our kids have magical appetites too: if it's something they like (french fries, chips, etc) then they have no limit to their stomach space. Yet something like chicken: tiny stomachs. Heck, they even left part of their bratwurst yesterday night. weirdos.
Post a Comment