28 March 2012

The week in Review (Nana and L'Opa come to visit)

I miss not being closer to family.  We don't get to celebrate "minor" holidays with one another like Halloween or St. Patrick's Day or birthdays.  Even the major Holidays are missed some years.  But, a bonus of not being close is that when family does come to town, it is a big occasion.  And because gifts are generally involved, it is a lot like Christmas.  Especially for Dom.

For weeks before grandparents or aunts and uncles or cousins show up, Dom starts asking if they are coming "tomorrow".  The day finally comes and he wants to know why they are not already here.  He constantly wants to look at a map to see where they are.  If the travelers have a phone, we'll call them at least once if not multiple times to get more and more accurate times of arrival.  Mitzi is the best at this as she will call as she enters the neighborhood.  

Then, once the family members are here, Dom wants to stay up late (like Christmas Eve) and get up early (like Christmas Day) to optimize the time he gets to spend with them.  I'm pretty sure during the time Nana and L'Opa were in town, Dom woke up extra early and just lay in his bed waiting to hear any sort of movement.  Once he did, he hopped out of bed and I could hear his footsteps run down the hall to where Nana and L'Opa were sleeping.  I love this because it reminds me of when my grandparents would come to visit.  They slept on a pull out couch in our living room.  I don't know why this tradition got started, but we would wake up extra early and go down to pull my Grandpa's big toe.  I don't think Dom does this, I'm pretty sure he just goes in and snuggles with them until he can convince Nana to get up and play with him.  L'Opa and William share something other than their first names...they both like to stay in bed until the sun is up.

Anyhow, we had a wonderful visit with Nana and L'Opa.  Nana had brought supplies to make Jayhawk hats with the boys (one of the activities she and Dom did early on Wednesday morning).  L'Opa read book after book to the boys.  Mostly I think they made him read the books about the planets over and over again.  If I had realized this was going to happen, I would have checked out all the planet books, not just the one about Jupiter.  We took strolls around the neighborhood.  Did some yard work.  Went to a baseball game and to the Air Force Museum.  We also took them to some of the historical sites for flight.  Per usual, we only have a few pictures, but I know my mom took several with her camera.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get a hold of those soon!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally, I'm the best at something!

Anonymous said...

liked this